Was the nefarious darkness a caused by John’s amnesia, a parallel universe, or mental illness

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Was the nefarious darkness a caused by John’s amnesia, a parallel universe, or mental illness

Post by Valerie Garske »

It is still unclear if the nefarious darkness was a result of John’s amnesia, a parallel universe, or mental illness. I think the book was obscure, and I really never understood the manifestation of the darkness? Can anyone explain without spoilers?
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I was confused by this as well. Maybe I didn't think about it in-depth, but I honestly thought he just had amnesia that was somehow blocking him from anything related to the new building. I saw some of the crazy at the end of course, but I don't know if he was always that way and hiding it, or just flipped at some point.
-Amy
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think that the darkness was caused by both John's amnesia and mental illness. I got the feeling that John wasn't just suffering from amnesia but mental illness.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This perplexed me, too though. Apparently I didn't think about it carefully enough, but I genuinely believed he was suffering from amnesia, which was preventing him from learning about the new structure. Of course, I witnessed some of the craziness in the end, but I'm not sure if he was always like this and simply kept it hidden, or if he switched at some point.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

At first I thought the darkness was caused by the amnesia, but as the book went on, I started to think it had more to do with John's mental state.
Tina Masha 1
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tina-masha-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tina Masha 1 »

I initially assumed the darkness was due to the amnesia, but as the novel progressed, I began to believe it was due to John's mental state. Making it difficult to comprehend how he felt about his circumstances.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I think it's a more abstract and metaphoric device introduced by the author to attempt to characterize the immense trauma and turmoil John and the city are going through. That's how I interpreted it and it worked out for me.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I initially assumed the darkness was due to the amnesia, but as the novel progressed, I began to believe it was due to John's mental state. Making it difficult to comprehend how he felt about his circumstances.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I think that the author purposefully felt the details were vague, but I would guess that the darkness was caused by amnesia.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”