Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Re: Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?

Post by Rita Nuncia »

Who one decides to be or what characters one decides to exhibit is not dependent on one's parents. The environment plays more role in forming a person's character than the parents. Her father and mother being evil doesn't mean she should be evil too.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

Cecilia has a personality different from that of her parents. Some of her attributes were due to being raised in hell by lucifer.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I think Cecilia's personality emphasizes the fact that children are not the exact 'mirror image' of their parents. Even though her father is King of Hell, Cecilia as his daughter doesn't need to be evil too. But I'd like to explore her personality side further, maybe in the sequel (if there's going to be any) she might have the 'dark side' that are not revealed in this book.
Yennefer_
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yennefer.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Yennefer_ »

I appreciate the idea of the daughter not blindly following her father. I believe that having a personality other than her father adds more to the plot than simply being the terrible princess of darkness. Making Cecilia too similar to Lucifer, I believe, would have been a cop-out on the author's behalf. Despite her iconic father's influence, I'm delighted Cecilia gets to be her own person.
Ndagire Hassifah
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ndagire Hassifah »

I am with the author. Cecilia's different personality is what make her character more interesting and compelling. And besides, children should walk on their own footsteps not their parents.
Tinski23
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinski23.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Tinski23 »

Cecilia Harrow not being outright evil as would be expected from the princess of hell makes her character more interesting. It could also set up an evil character arc later.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I honestly expected Cecilia to be her father's daughter but I was pleasantly surprised by her character. Lucifer had an influence in her life but she is an individual and I honestly like that the apple fell far from the tree in this instance.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 07:03 Cecelia Harrow is Lucifer's daughter, but she seems to be very different from who the princess of Hell should be. I know that this way the author removes the cliche from the character, but at the same time, for me it seems that it also removes other possibilities that the character personality might have. Do you think that Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?
She may not represent who she should be, but her character justifies who she had become. She was more of a rebellious daughter who wanted a different kind of life from the one she had in hell. That means that her personality was also completely different from her dad's.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Rachael S 1 wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 12:34 I like the idea that the daughter does not follow the father completely. I think having a different personality than the cliche adds more to the storyline than just being the evil princess of darkness. There is always more than just good or just evil to a personality and it takes time to find out what and who you are. Especially when you are dealing with high-school children.
Remember we aren't told so much about her while she was still in hell before she got tired of the life in hell. She may have been so much like her dad until she decided she wanted a new life, which isn't uncommon to anyone.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Sola Gracia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sola-gracia.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sola Gracia »

Maybe she was bored by her father's attitude and murder. But, it's hard to believe that a demon, even a daughter of Lucifer, could have such a great personality as Cecilia. I think her being is not compatible with her personality.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

I would agree that Cecelia being the Lucifer's daughter does not necessarily mean she would take on his traits. She has the choice to be her own self.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

She could have inherited any other recessive trait from either of her parents, but not shown in her personality. But I think her personality depended on some other factors, like the environmental factor. Well, her exhibition of different personalities made the storylines interesting and engaging.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”