Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?

Post by Humera955 »

I think Cecelia has been presented in a very different manner by the author . As readers, we expect here to be more like the princess of hell. It would have been better if the author had worked more on her character representation. :lol:
:tiphat:
Brittany LaPour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Does it Sound Like When You Change Your Mind?
Bookshelf Size: 2329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-lapour.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B07F7TLZF4

Post by Brittany LaPour »

Cecilia has an exciting personality that seems to have developed over the 201 years of her life. She appeared to be a hardcore princess of hell for quite some time and then changed one day. In contrast, I believe that that can happen and that children don't necessarily need to have their parents' personalities to be believable. I think she just grew a conscience over time and realized she doesn't want to be like her father anymore. The author did an excellent job of making her personality stretch over the 201 years with different outcomes, just like a dynamic person would have.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Being Lucifer's daughter means that she would have her father's attitude, but her father's attitude is not supposed to affect her personality. I think it is compatible with her personality, I am on the side of the author.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I kinda wished Cecilia had a bit darker side. I enjoy reading about characters like that. I wonder what would have happened if the author wrote the story a little differently.
Taana Ueh
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taana-ueh.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Taana Ueh »

Cwilde13 wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 18:37 I think it's important to show that children can develop their own beliefs, ideas, and personalities, as opposed to making them mirror images of their parents. I think that making Cecilia too similar to Lucifer would have been a cop-out on the part of the author. I'm glad that Cecilia gets to be her own person, despite the influence of her infamous father.
Exactly. Children could be the opposite of their parts. I think her personality makes her character one to watch out for and a bit more interesting
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I'm with the author. I don't think it's necessary that a child take on their parents' personality or attitude. Giving Cecilia her own personality the story is also interesting
Juliet Johnson
Currently Reading: Functional Dysfunction
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-johnson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by Juliet Johnson »

I thought it was a terrific way of demonstrating how her status as Lucifer's daughter did not define her personality. This demonstrates that children are not defined by their parents' personalities.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I like that the author made Cecelia different than what is expected. Having two characters with similar personalities in a story may be a bit unexciting for readers. Also, Cecilia's differing personality sends a good message to us readers - we don't always need to be like our parents, regardless of who they may be. We're our own person. And it's ok to be different.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Personality does not equate relationship, so yes, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. She is a person with her own character and that is part if what makes it a successful story.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Azuka_05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-05.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Azuka_05 »

I do not think her family background was compatible with her personality. She was much more kindhearted.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I am on the side of the author. I believe the author had an aim in mind. The personality of Lucifer, her father, would have been compatible, but the author wrote the story with a different perspective.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

The author tried so hard not to make her the typical princess of Hell. I found it a little out of character. She should have stuck to her true nature.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Depends on what you mean by "personality". I don't think she should have a default behavior. I like her personality trait in the novel, it's unexpected
Rapheal03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rapheal03 »

I would say that Cecilia does not have the personality of either of her parents. She has a little of both and has ner own unique personality. She displays she has whatever personality she wants. She has a conscience. In the beginning of the book she is acting just like Lucifer, killing innocent people, and taking people's souls to Hell. She was acting like Lucifer. Cecilia has something Lucifer does not, and that is a conscience!I am on the side of author. It is not necessary that children acquire the personality of their parents. And also it makes the story boring if the daughter is as same as her father.
Latest Review:
Ashley A 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-a-2.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Ashley A 2 »

In the book, we are also meeting Cecilia after centuries of behavior that might be more akin to that of the daughter of Lucifer. Cecilia had already gone through growth and development and we continue to see her grow through the book. I think that this internal struggle was well depicted.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”