Do you feel like Vagabond established its setting well?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Brittany LaPour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Does it Sound Like When You Change Your Mind?
Bookshelf Size: 2329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-lapour.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B07F7TLZF4

Re: Do you feel like Vagabond established its setting well?

Post by Brittany LaPour »

This is an interesting thought! I thoroughly enjoyed the setting of Virginia and the interesting history but I do agree with you. The whole school could have been way better described and enjoyed. For comparison, people fell in love with Hogwarts because of the amazing descriptions and I think she definitely could have made an amazing setting that we could fall in love with.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'll have appreciated a more embellished and vivid description of the school. However, I don't count it as a being poorly set up.
Ashley A 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-a-2.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Ashley A 2 »

I think that the description of the school could have been more detailed - understanding the grounds etc. I also think that since the description of the town felt more detailed it makes the lack of that for the school stand out.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Nandini Mukherjee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nandini-mukherjee.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nandini Mukherjee »

Yes, the book needed a lot more detailing on its background. Other than the basic descriptions, there was no prominence given to Cecilia's surroundings, her school. A character's environment works in setting the mood. And so, I felt the book was lacking a bit in that aspect. But otherwise, the author has done a great job with the plot.
Marceleria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Marceleria »

I do agree that Mary A.J created a great plot but she she gave little details about the schools surrounding. It would have been better if she gave more details about the school
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

As repeated through the numerous comments above me, the school setting being elaborated upon would have expanded on its sparse worldbuilding. However I do agree that the story was a larger focus than the setting. I do think both are important, so it's disappointing to see one thrown to the wayside in favor of the other.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

More details about the school especially from Cecelia's eyes would have helped to visualize the entire story setting better.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Maybe a bit more detailing about the students and their daily mischief during school hours or class would have made it more interesting. The focus on characters and surroundings should be balanced so that they complement each other. But I think the author has done a good job with Vagabond.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

We see things the same way when it comes to this specific matter. I thought the author should have given more attention to Cecilia and the setting as a whole, but instead she only gives a passing nod to them. The tale has a lot going for it, but this scene in particular had me a little underwhelmed.
sabira62
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabira62.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by sabira62 »

that is true, the school has very little details for the reader to imagine it to be, since cicilia is 16years old, she should be in school therefor the school is the thing that the author should have focused on more and gave as much detail as he could for the reader to be able to visualize it in a complete picture
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

Not once did I feel that Cornelia high was not properly described. I felt the author focused on it enough but diverted to the characters too.
aconcaguanana22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aconcaguanana22.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by aconcaguanana22 »

I understand your disappointment. If Cecilia is the lead character here, then she and everything about her, should be the center of detailed attention.
Kwadwo Oppong B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kwadwo Oppong B »

The author is very visionary and the (setting) in the story means where it took place whether the town square etc.l really liked it and l am certain that you would like it too
Badmusjamiu44
Favorite Book: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Badmusjamiu44 »

I agree with you about the setting of the classroom hence one was unable to figure out the scene of the event or better still...its difficult to visualise the school environment.
I hope Marry A.J could espanciate and make the book more understanding.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

I agree that it wasn't thoroughly substantiated. The reader should get a sense of the setting through the author's detailed description. However, I believe there are numerous drawbcaks in it. I concur with you, and I realize that we want to discover more about the school's setting.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”