Do you feel like Vagabond established its setting well?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Mary254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Do you feel like Vagabond established its setting well?

Post by Mary254 »

I feel like the aouthorcoukdhave been more specific about more details and used stylistic devices such as imagery to depict Cecilia's environment.
Marisol Mendez
Currently Reading: Milk and Honey
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisol-mendez.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov

Post by Marisol Mendez »

The way the author established the settings was actually one of my favorite things about this book. Everything was so detailed!
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I think the author did her best in establishing the setting of the book. With a great plot she had a lot of responsibility to set the story towards a great path, and she did it well.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I totally agree with you. The author should have given more vivid descriptions on the school atmosphere; before Cecilia arrived and a bit of it during her time in it.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I agree the story would be improved by adding in more about the school. The history of the school is one of the most interesting and mysterious parts of the story. The ties to the school for the students is also important to the story. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of attention paid to the school setting. There were so few locations described at the school.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I also felt that the location establishment does not complement the plot. I think the settings needed to be described more thoroughly. As the school was very important to the plot, I felt that the author shortchanged us in that regard.
Adenike279
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adenike279.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Adenike279 »

I agree with this. The author should have provided explicit context about the school. It will create a mental picture in the minds of the reader.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

To understand a literary text the description of the setting is very important but given few details you may not connect the character's behaviour, reaction or association to it. Hence, on setting the author failed us.
Larissa Sawers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissa-sawers.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Larissa Sawers »

As a person who skips over excessive descriptions in books, I didn’t have a problem with this. I think the writer described the necessary settings and skimmed the ones that wouldn’t contribute much. This story was character-driven and fast-paced. If it was any more descriptive, it might have distorted the pacing.
abbyvanana1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyvanana1997.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by abbyvanana1997 »

Yes, the author might have done a better job of establishing a clear and descriptive setting. I, too, was excited to discover more about this scene, but to my surprise, it wasn't enough. I wish the author could have done far better and not sped up the narrative in order to provide more flavor to the book.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

The author did not give a satisfactory description of the background setting. A clear illustration is always necessary for imaginative purposes.
tyron esendi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyron-esendi.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by tyron esendi »

dpadgett1 wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:39 I agree with you 100%. That was actually one of my only negatives of the book. I thought we were given a very basic picture of the school grounds and rooms/buildings within the school but not enough to fully visualize the setting they are in. This was most frustrating to me during some of the action-packed scenes because I could not visualize exactly how things were happening because we were not given a great picture of the setting.
I totally agree. The action scenes felt a bit problematic to me because I found myself relying on my visualization rather than the authors' background setting. I feel like what I think the school looks like might differ from another reader's visualization. I hope the author will build up the settings in the next book.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I agree that the school scenes lack detailed description, but I can visualize it vividly enough by imagining it as how a school should look like in real life
Aarushi Pareek
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Hallowed Ground
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarushi-pareek.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Aarushi Pareek »

However, I do agree that the whole idea of a school setting was not accurately depicted. Most of the aura of the school was portrayed through the characters and not by the setting.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

Although I would I agree that a lots of aspect from Cornelia high were hardly described, I'll also say the author did a good job. Because the plot was still on point and the book was still fun. I could use my imagination to cover the parts that were not details.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”