Plot Twist

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Plot Twist

Post by Brett Linette »

I think the best plot twist is when we find out that the murder which turned Alexander into a demon was arguably an act of self-defense. It was wild to go from judging him to feeling sorry for him.

What do you guys think? Was there one plot twist in the book that you felt stood out from the rest?
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I think finding out her watch was the missing artifact was a crazy plot twist, especially the way we found out! It makes me wonder if it was known that she was Lucifer’s daughter when it was given to her since it would be so dangerous in his hands
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure that I can sat i feel sorry for him. His actions as a demon were his and his alone. We can see from Cecilia that a demon doesn’t have to do demon-y things. He was seriously considering becoming a demon before the events with his father, too.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

dpadgett1 wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 12:34 I think finding out her watch was the missing artifact was a crazy plot twist, especially the way we found out! It makes me wonder if it was known that she was Lucifer’s daughter when it was given to her since it would be so dangerous in his hands
I was so confused when it was revealed that Louise got to the artifact that was in Cecilia's coat pocket. I was like, "What was Louise snooping in her coat pocket for?" When it was explained that he was bringing the coat he thought she left behind to her and that he picked the artifact up because it had fallen out, my heart broke into a million pieces.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Amy Luman wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 12:56 I’m not sure that I can sat i feel sorry for him. His actions as a demon were his and his alone. We can see from Cecilia that a demon doesn’t have to do demon-y things. He was seriously considering becoming a demon before the events with his father, too.
While it's true that Cecilia came around, it took years for her to. When she was as young in her demonhood as Alexander, she was just as demonic as him, if not more.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I think the plot twist that surprised me the most was how is Henry at the end? But I liked the hook.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

The major plot twist for me was discovering more details about Cecilia's mother at the end of the book. This was a great twist since it came with new characters, too (the archangels). It is also when we find out who saved Cecilia from drowning in the river when she was an infant and gave her the watch.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Yes, Alexander got accidentally turned into a demon, but he didn't have to perform demonic actions. His character contrasts with Cecilia's. She's a devil by blood yet shies away from her heritage. Hence, Alexander deserves no pity. Let him face the consequences of his monstrous actions.
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

Probably finding out that Gabriel was her savior who had made a promise to Catherine. It seems a little convenient at first, but it adds an extra layer of melancholy to Cecilia's mother trying to kill her own child.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I think this is not necessary to do bad things if you are a demon. We can see that by the character of Cecilia.
I feel that the biggest twist for me is to know that Gabriel is Cecilia's saviour.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think the act of self-defense from Alexander was one of the most intriguing moments of the book.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

valeriejane wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 17:59 I think the plot twist that surprised me the most was how is Henry at the end? But I liked the hook.
I like how the author played his character off as an extra, but I knew he was going to come back to haunt the protagonist.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Yulisa Sanchez wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:42 The major plot twist for me was discovering more details about Cecilia's mother at the end of the book. This was a great twist since it came with new characters, too (the archangels). It is also when we find out who saved Cecilia from drowning in the river when she was an infant and gave her the watch.
I actually went into the book thinking his promise to save her in the beginning was meant to insinuate that he was going to save her at the end of the story, but by the time the ending came, I forgot all about that promise and the follow-through came as a surprise.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Fireside119 wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:56 Yes, Alexander got accidentally turned into a demon, but he didn't have to perform demonic actions. His character contrasts with Cecilia's. She's a devil by blood yet shies away from her heritage. Hence, Alexander deserves no pity. Let him face the consequences of his monstrous actions.
I'd argue that it's not fair to say that Cecilia is better than Alexander for changing when she has had more time than him to; it took her years to change, years Alexander hadn't had, since he had only been a demon for three months.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

6eyed wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 21:16 Probably finding out that Gabriel was her savior who had made a promise to Catherine. It seems a little convenient at first, but it adds an extra layer of melancholy to Cecilia's mother trying to kill her own child.
I wasn't a huge fan of the prologue, but it was worth reading, seeing how much it contributed to the ending.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”