Did anyone find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Did anyone find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old?

Post by peace_m »

I think Cecilia's age contradicts her characters. I was not expecting her to be so much old. When her age was disclosed, I was totally shocked.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I completely disagree, cecilia is 201 years old in hell, its a completely different world, with different rules, and I don't think they have basketball or she could fall in love in hell. that's just :o . so the fact that on earth she's fallen for a boy so quickly is not surprising for me, you can't say you haven't fallen in love fast for the first time, the feeling is uncontrollable especially if the boy is cute and nice and kind and you've been in hell for 201 years with demons and satan himself as your dad, there is no escape from that
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

Actually, I think that the behaviour of the Cecilia is normal. She is 201 years old but in the Hell. So, the love and basketball things are new for her. I think that is the reason of her immaturity that can be seen in the book.
iplamenova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by iplamenova »

It was hard for me to believe that she was 201, her acts caused me to reconsider her maturity.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Yes, since there are some circumstances that are unsuitable for her age. Despite the fact that this is a piece of fantasy, I believe the author should have kept her age as genuine as possible, not exceeding 200. It makes sense, though, because the plot is peculiar and distinctive.
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

I agree. I feel like she would have lived and loved a more than is depicted in the story. Or at least had some moments The writer gave the impression that she just murdered and tortured for most of those years and was quite isolated in Hell. So maybe that would account for her social inexperience.
Marisol Mendez
Currently Reading: Milk and Honey
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisol-mendez.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov

Post by Marisol Mendez »

It wasn’t hard for me to believe he actually age since it sense that she would have a longer life span due to her being the daughter of satan. She did seem very immature to me for someone who has been around for so long and seen so many things so I can see why it would be a shock to some.
expansive writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-expansive-writer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by expansive writer »

Actually She may have been 201year old in a different world but in this world of humans she is just young as or with a normal age compared to other people.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I also feel she could been a bit mature and more aware of the things around her, but I chose to ignore it and see her as just a naive 16 year old and not a 201 year old princess in another world.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

I think Cecilia's behavior as a 16-year old is contradictory to her supposed age of 201 as well. However, I would suggest that perhaps her behavior was informed by her new surroundings and the body she inhabited and as a result her unfamiliarity would lead to some out of place behavior that's unexpected.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Yes I did feel that there were some errors in the dialogues of Cecilia. If she was a 201 year old in the body of a 16 year old, there shouldn't have been instances of immaturity. But then again wisdom and age are no longer correlated.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I don't think her being 201 was odd as I believe that being a 201 year old denon would be the same time frame as a 16 year old human. She was a young sheltered demon which equated with being a young sheltered human
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I actually found it hard to believe Cecilia was 201 years old. There were also some things I found difficult to believe about, in the book. But Im not sure if this was intentional from the author.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Brittany LaPour wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 15:59 Now I know that Cecilia is a 16-year-old junior in a 201-year-old Princess of Hell body, but the girl didn't know what basketball was? She has never been in love? I understand that perhaps she was busy killing mortals and just didn't find anyone to pine after but for her to fall so hard so quickly for Sebastian when she's so old. It seems a little bit of a character flaw to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it because it is a young adult book but I thought she would be a tad more mature than the rest of the 16-year-olds.
Indeed, a very valid point you brought up here.
I would, however, call it a writing flaw around the character. But again, it would also be a character flaw, as you have said, Brittany.
The idea is still commonplace in our society: social norms expect us to grow mature and knowledgeable/wiser as we age chronologically. Yet, in our contemporary lives we still find immature adults who suffer from what the media likes to call 'Peter Pan Syndrome', which shares that although they age they do not mature, the remain at a level of almost pubescent maturity in many ways.

Subjectively, I do believe that life should teach a person valuable lessons, especially regarding issues of responsibility and emotional intelligence: yet retain a sense of childlike wonder toward the world. One must learn from one's mistakes, and 201 years is quite the time to learn and develop from such mistakes and experiences, a time period that allows for great development and change toward a person one hopes to be, especially if one's physical strength remains in tact.
BUT, this is just me as one person and one personality; the world is a place filled with numerous personalities and characters who each view and live life in ways different to our own subjective and personal beliefs and ideal. Therefore, I cannot be either-or on the matter of Cecilia's maturity...
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I actually disagree. It is possible to be old and be ignorant of so many things. One can't know something one never came across or heard or even seen before. Knowledge is not magical, it is learned.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”