Did anyone find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Brittany LaPour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Does it Sound Like When You Change Your Mind?
Bookshelf Size: 2329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-lapour.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B07F7TLZF4

Did anyone find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old?

Post by Brittany LaPour »

Now I know that Cecilia is a 16-year-old junior in a 201-year-old Princess of Hell body, but the girl didn't know what basketball was? She has never been in love? I understand that perhaps she was busy killing mortals and just didn't find anyone to pine after but for her to fall so hard so quickly for Sebastian when she's so old. It seems a little bit of a character flaw to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it because it is a young adult book but I thought she would be a tad more mature than the rest of the 16-year-olds.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Right I agree, as for a 201 years old she should have been more mature. There are some characters and scenes flaws in the book. I can tell that the writer is still a beginner
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that she was just sheltered. Lucifer didn’t want her knowing all of those things. He wanted her to focus on murder and hatred. Seriously, if you knew how much fun good things could be, which would you choose?
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

There were some instances where I questioned Cecilia's character because it contradicted her age. However, I can see how age doesn't always equal wisdom, but rather our experiences do. Because Cecilia's early life was much different than a regular human life, then I was better prepared to view her character in a different better light.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Valerie Garske »

I agree that age thing was odd. She did not have the old soul, you would expect. In fact, she appeared naive at times. I think Cecilia has several flaws and she was not a believable 16 year old. The romance may have been better if in a college of sorts.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I definitely think she should have known some of the modern things around her, even if she was sheltered in Hell most of her life. Why wouldn't she know what a car was, especially since she tried to escape many times before and cars had been around for a while. Her emotional age also did not fit her actual age which in part might have been due to her sheltered life, but it is still hard to believe she is that incredibly naive.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

Cecilia's character and emotions at times contradicted her age but I'd think it was mostly because of her being sheltered by Lucifer and part of the flaw came from the author's unrealistic portrayal of her emotions. Like she was trying to show how too sheltered Cecilia was and ended up overdoing it.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Yes, I agree that for a 201-year-old woman, she should've been more mature. I also found it unrealistic that she didn't know some things like basketball, given that she has lived for 201 years and hasn't spent all her time in hell, as she stated on different occasions. I also found the rate at which she fell for Sebastian a bit unbelievable, given that she painted herself as having such a strong resistance to love for 201 years.
auth_r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-auth-r.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by auth_r »

I totally agree with you. I can't imagine Cecilia to be a 201-year-old woman. I also find it hard to believe that she falls in love with Sebastian that quickly. Anyways, maybe it's one of the ways that the author used to make her book unique from others with the same concept.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I actually find it to be quite believable. It is stated that this is the first time the watch has brought her somewhere populated. The first hundred years were spent serving Lucifer. The second hundred years were spent escaping and being captured. She spent decades in the lake of fire. Most of her escapes were into caves and such. This is her first time interacting with humans since she has decided she didn't want to kill them all. This is in fact a coming-of-age story, even though she is centuries old. She has no real-world exposure prior to this.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I chose to ignore how old she was supposed to be and just think of her as a teenager to help wrap my head around the concept of her age in comparison to her actions and thought processes. Otherwise, it was too jarring.
Hana_Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hana-fabro.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hana_Fabro »

Cecilia really has unique characteristics. It's just hard to believe that she is 201 years old, I can see her as a teenage girl. And I also find it hard to believe that she falls in love easily.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

It's hard to believe that Cecilia's is 201 years old as she behaved far less matured than a 201. But, I guess the author wants it that way in order to give the book a sense of uniqueness, different from some facts we've been used to.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

The author had a great playful mind that always piqued the reader's interest. I wasn't also expecting her to be so old. When her actual age was disclosed, I was astounded, and I have to admit that her acts have caused me to reconsider her age.
sabira62
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabira62.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by sabira62 »

Brittany LaPour wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 15:59 Now I know that Cecilia is a 16-year-old junior in a 201-year-old Princess of Hell body, but the girl didn't know what basketball was? She has never been in love? I understand that perhaps she was busy killing mortals and just didn't find anyone to pine after but for her to fall so hard so quickly for Sebastian when she's so old. It seems a little bit of a character flaw to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it because it is a young adult book but I thought she would be a tad more mature than the rest of the 16-year-olds.
I actually disagree, she was 201 years old in another world, and what world: HELL, so obviously she wouldn't know anything about the human world, maybe she could be wiser for her age in hell but not about things in the human world, and her falling for Sebastian , well I think since its her first time, she would fall for a 14 year old and not care because of the amazing feeling she's having
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”