Gravy's Reading of The Toaster Oven Mocks Me by Steve Margolis

Members of the forum can keep notes about their reading. You can post your notes and opinions about what you're reading. Kind of like a personal reading blog, but in thread format, and where other members would be able to read and interact with you. And, of course, you would be able to read and interact with other members.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Re: Gravy's Reading of The Toaster Oven Mocks Me by Steve Margolis

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Gravy wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Gravy wrote: Finished!

It contained some things that I was unaware of (types of synesthesia; some of the author's synesthesia actually disappearing for a time, which I've never heard of before), but was overall more just a general recounting of the author's life, who just happens to be a synesthete. I do not like the author at all. To use the old joke; 'if you looked up toxic masculinity in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of this author.'
He literally lied to his wife for at least ten years. I can't even.

Anyway, there are much better memoirs that center synesthesia much more, and with much more information about it. This one was worth reading only because it was short and easy to read. I still only gave it a 1 (and kind of wished I could give it a zero). I'm glad I'm done.

On to the next!
Now I want to know what he lied to his wife about - the synesthesia? There's an episode of "House" called "The Right Stuff" that deals with synesthesia. I always wondered if people who are really good artists are more prone to things like synesthesia. When I draw, unless it's something I've drawn a lot, I prefer to look at pictures and draw from that. Some people can remember things and duplicate them very well, simply from memory. Also, diabetics will sometimes have issues with seeing things. So, artistic diabetics are more prone to synesthesia? It seems like a bit of a leap, but possibly! Thanks for sharing information about the book - I almost want to read it because he seems like such a jerk - almost...
Yes, it was about his synesthesia, but he also didn't tell her when he fell into a debilitating bout of depression, and when his synesthesia actually disappeared (his theory was it was due to the depression, but could've been a number of things, all of which I think he should've been open about. (Maybe that's just me, but I get the feeling he would expect to be told if the roles were reversed, so...)

I believe there's a theory that Van Gogh was a synesthete. A good number of musicians have said they have synesthesia. It does indeed seem to be a pattern.

I'm fascinated by the sheer diversity in how all of our brains work. Like the difference between those who can and those who can't 'see' in their minds, and things like time blindness, etc. We all walk around under the assumption that everybody's brains work in a fairly similar way to our own, but it's just not the case, and I love learning about all the variation.
I had never heard of time blindness, but I did work with someone who marked each day off on the calendar when the shift started. I thought it a bit final - like this day can never exist again, but that was not the reason they did it (I asked :)), it helped them keep track of the date. I've also heard of people who can wake themselves up at a certain time each day and people who can sleep for a certain amount of time and then wake up. I imagine this quality would be useful in military or other more normal situations. Synesthesia in artists seems to make more sense than synesthesia in musicians. People watching is fun!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Yes! I totally agree.

The whole thing is just so interesting!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

My son is autistic, PDD-NOS and has synesthesia. I think the synesthesia helps him learn because using ticking clock he picks up whatever his work he is doing. If he can't hear anything he loses track of time. At 24 years old, his sense of time is last week. He also integrates people into his memories. For example: Last week he believes I went with him to a theme park when it was his dad that took him 4 years ago.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Personal Reading Diaries”