What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Re: What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Post by evraealtana »

I agree with what others have said; it felt a little forced to me, as though they (particularly James) weren't fully invested. I wonder if he will remain loyal to Lily in the future.
AmberLiz
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberliz.html
Latest Review: The Assignment by Don Chance

Post by AmberLiz »

I definitely think their feelings at least started out sincere, and they still may be. I do believe Lily's feelings are honest and true. I'm just not so sure that James is still as in love with her as he once was. The power involved creates an obvious conflict, and there is no way to avoid it. I think he enjoys the power though.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I was interested in seeing the non-standard relationship play out, but I didn't feel like James' and Lily's relationship was well written. It definitely felt forced and like it was only included for plot purposes.
Nokuphiwa M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nokuphiwa M »

We see it all the time how easy it is to judge and interpret a situation wrongly if we are not the ones in it. I think their relationship was romantic in the only way it could have been considering the times and circumstances they were living in. It wasn't your everyday flowers and chocolates romance between them but it still was one in the end.
anonymous daisy
Currently Reading: A Little Closer to Home
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by anonymous daisy »

I feel they both are attracted to each other can't deny that fact so it is obviously not forced but I feel like the guy is somehow not sure of his feelings like his feelings is not that genuine as lily's feelings.But I can see that he does care for her a lot.
Carissa Morrison
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Carissa Morrison »

I'm not far into the book however, I think that James' and Lily's relationship is making this story a romance in histories darkest times.
Ajiboye Shola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiboye-shola.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ajiboye Shola »

I think even a sincere love affair can be tried which will now explain whether it will keep standing or fall. James did not force lily in any way, it seems to be a real love from the beginning only it might not stand the test of time.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Although the romance was not conventional, I felt the bliss. I could not say it was forced because James and Lily had been attracted to each other since they were children.
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

I think that Lily and James's relationship was seldomly romantic. It was inappropriate for the period they were in, which is why it felt uncomfortable and painful at times.
Truc Mai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truc-mai.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Truc Mai »

The relationship between James and Lily is really romantic. Although there are many sex scenes. Their relationship was definitely affected by slavery. That is my opinion.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I like the unusual relationship, but I feel like were are missing information. Relationships cannot survive only on attraction (that they do have, since they were children, we know) but I feel like we are missing the reason why they fell in love.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The chemistry between them appeared to be real. On the other hand, James appears to be in a position to betray Lily with ease. James needs to develop a little more, in my opinion. I don't believe their relationship is forced in any other way.
Grace Laa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Grace Laa »

Felt it a blended relationship, some sense of force and romance at the same time..
Matthew Little
Currently Reading: The Invisible Library
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthew-little.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Matthew Little »

I agree with thoughts about the imbalance of power. James "feels" like he's in love with her and vice versa, but how much of that relationship is manufactured and how much is real?
Adenike279
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adenike279.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Adenike279 »

The relationship, in my own opinion, was not forced. They have been attracted to each other since childhood. But one can't say if James will betray her later.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”