Overall rating and opinion of "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye

Post by Apple 7 »

The takeaway aspects of the book, is the idea of trying to overcome the barrier of stigma with regards the association of love between to individuals of mind blowing social status...indeed love does break boundaries, the ability to play without touching seems very illusive but all the same entertaining, the explicit addition of sexual content might be a put off for various readers but all in all it's very exciting especially with cases of forbidden love..
AndreeaG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreeag.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by AndreeaG »

I will rate "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye 4 out of 4 since I loved the mystery and the romance part of the story. The relationship between Lily and James is unpredictable, which kept me engaged during the lecture. I loved the suspense and I had an amazing time reading this, so congratulations to the author for this book!
Tinski23
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinski23.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Tinski23 »

The classic premise of romance between a boy and a girl from different backgrounds is exciting. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would give it a rating of 4 out of 4.
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

I had a great time reading this book. I loved the relationship between James and Lily. I do feel, though, that James should have involved Lily in more of the decision making. This book is a 4 out of 4 for me.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I do enjoy a good historical fiction with romance. I could not put this book down. It had some many fantastic elements to it I just did not want it to end. The author did a great job of giving the characters depth and passion. I could feel it all through the pages. I would have to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I have come across this book before from the daily first ten-page sampling program. My opinion of the book then was that it was a good story. I felt sad for Lily immediately after I got to know that her own father was the one that emotionlessly sold her into slavery to the family of Jesse Adams, as a black slave. She was still thinking about her mother, who she wasn't sure was dead or alive.I was happy when I noticed she was learning the piano secretly, especially when she did not have any other learning or formal training apart from slavery duties, which were too tiresome and challenging for her. 
However, the book should come with some warnings because it contains some disturbing content that readers might find highly offensive. It is not recommended for readers, especially sensitive ones. You will love this book, hate it, and maybe change your mind again. You have to be strongly open-minded because it will touch you emotionally. It is an intense, thought-provoking, and extremely compelling book. 
Skye let all her thoughts out in this book. She didn't hold back and won some awards for that:
1. In 2021, the Prodigy Slave Trilogy received first place in the Chanticleer International Book Awards (CIBA), for the Best in Fiction Category.
2. A finalist in the 2019 National Readers' Choice Awards for Best First Book. 
3. It was rated 5 stars by Readers' Favorite on Amazon. 
It is not your typical kind of romance or historical fiction book. This one breaks barriers and boundaries, and you will either love it or hate it at the end.
What I didn't like was how indecisive Lily was for a long time about whether to be with James or not. Either she had developed low self-esteem because of the many years of struggle, or she wasn't sure that James was the right person for her. The ending left me speechless. I wasn't expecting it to end that way. I also felt some research work needed to go into the story to make it more authentic and believable. I feel the writer should be sensitive to certain cultures. Black Americans hold their slavery history and the injustices dear to their hearts. Anything that needs to be portrayed should be the truth or painted well to boost their self-esteem or give them something to be proud of. Many of them are not happy about the way they were treated and would rewrite the story to be less depressing than something that would add to their wounds if possible. They are tired of the wrongful portrayal of their heritage or insensitive storylines. The writer might have to put an age restriction on this book because some young readers just read anything they can lay their hands on. It is just my opinion. 
I would recommend it to open-minded, strong readers who are thoughtful and don't jump into anger mode easily. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars because I felt some of the contents ought to be edited better and the research should be solider than what was there. Good job, Skye. Don't relent, keep inspiring us. 
Notactive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roqaya-zq.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Notactive »

I'm a huge fan of the book. The writer's description of what was going on was incredible and precise. I admired Lily's passions and James' love for her, as well as how he cared so much about her that he was attempting to assist her escape from the circumstances his father had put her in. The writing style did not appeal to me, therefore I'm not sure I'd recommend the book.
Nandini Mukherjee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nandini-mukherjee.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nandini Mukherjee »

The theme of the book caught my interest in the first place and I loved the chemistry between James and Lily. The intricate relationships shown and built between the characters as well as their personality development, hooked me to the book. I definitely recommend this book to lovers of historical and romance fiction.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

It is really amazing how Lily was able to teach herself piano even when she was forbidden from touching it. The love between James and Lily seems weird to me.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The book is very intriguing and relatable, especially considering two individuals whose love for one another is forbidden with regard to their status in the society. Their daring love seems to overcome all the hurdles.....the ability displayed by lily is unusual and pleasant at the same time...the sexual scenes depicted may put some readers off but all in all it's a good read.
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

:|The book is interesting and emotional and narrates the misery of being a slave. The thing I liked most is the easy and descriptive language which takes the reader into the world of prodgy slave. The thing which bothers me is the sadness and dismay of theme which tears my heart into into pieces. The will appeal to anyone who is fond of reading human stories and their misery and depravity.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

This story is unlike any other I've read. Lily and James have my heart. I love the characters, but at a corner of my heart, I feel that the romance between them is somewhat forced. I like Lilly and her love for playing the piano much more as a person who wants to learn piano. I find her very inspirational. Based on my reading experience, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would've liked this book more had the author described a bit more about Lily's character, but the story is outstanding nevertheless. The cliffhanger ending has left me eager to read the other books in this series.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I really loved the slave codes because they widened my knowledge about slave trade. I loved the plot and the story in general. I must say slave trade was a jail cell which moved the slaves from one place to another. The writing style was also okay. I found no problem with it. I think there is young adult, romance and non-fiction as well.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars because i enjoyed reading it. I loved the historical fiction and romance in it. I would recommend this book to anyone who is in love with romance.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

I really liked this book. I didn't realize there were going to be erotic parts in it, but it was done tastefully for eroticism. The language at times was strong, but I felt like I was right there and could hear and picture the characters as the story went along. There is this series without the erotic parts too. I saw it on Amazon. I didn't feel like the story was rushed. And the fact that others could see how important Lily was to James, makes me believe the feelings are real. I didn't like how the book ended, simply because I wanted to understand it. I have recommended it to a friend. I had gotten a different type of book for Christmas, and other than children's books, both of these are ones that I had a hard time putting down and that's exactly what I needed right now. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”