Overall rating and opinion of "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2022 Book of the month, The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye. What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genres are woven into the text? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aubrie_Waters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrie-waters.html
Latest Review: The Northern Pike Story by Thomas Ashmore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aubrie_Waters »

I really loved the majority of this book. However, I feel that the romance between Lily and James was forced. I didn’t like James’ character or decisions regarding Lily’a future. However, Lily’s story is inspiring and well-written.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I did enjoy reading the book. The cliffhanger added a mystery to the plot wanting me to read more. Though there was some aspect of the story that I was not impressed with especially the language. The characters were well written, loved Lily's passion, and full of life attitude, a character that would like to see in most romance novels. I have no impressions of James' character honestly, it was fine for me. All in all, I will rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Would surely recommend it to anyone who likes romance novels.
Adeyemi6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Adeyemi6 »

I enjoyed my time with this novel because of the chemistry that exists between Lily and James, though I'm still waiting to see if James can fight for her and help her stand on her own in the face of the slavery that exists during the time the novel is meant to tell.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

First and foremost, any plot with a tumultuous saga captivates me. The thought of a slave and a master falling in love without being concerned about the hardships their relationship would face piqued my interest in the work.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars because I could not stop reading it. I think James and Lily were soul mates. I got so engrossed in this book that I immediately bought the other two in the series and read them. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical romance and enjoy seeing that not everyone condoned slavery.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I would easily rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. James was a very patient man indeed. Pretending not to care about someone you love for a long time to create an impression on your father isn't easy at all.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

gali wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 02:04 This is a discussion topic for the January 2022 Book of the month, The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye. What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genres are woven into the text? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
I used to play piano as a kid, so learning about Lily's ability to play the piano without ever touching it is amazing. The romance between her and James could have been left to the second book, in my opinion. The reason why is because I felt that there were not enough details about Lily's character to justify her romance with him. The sexual scenes seemed over the top as well. Historical fiction lovers who enjoy romance may like this book, but readers who do not like sex scenes that are described in detail may want to skip this one.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

It seems that the author has left the book ending open so he would be able to write a sequel. Not all book survive to a sequel some of sequels can be a death sentence to a series. However the characters were fierce and unique with their own stories. The tension that the James and Lily have is undeniable but a relationship between a slave and an owner is dangerous. It could lead to forced betray Wich will leave only lily to suffer. I would rate this book a 3 out of 4
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I just downloaded this book and can't wait to read it! It looks like a fascinating historical fiction novel and as a musician, the piano prodigy aspect of the book really grabbed my attention.
OTrain D
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-d.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by OTrain D »

This was the most different book I have ever read. A book that fuses slavery and romance? That was so new and unique to me. I loved the pace it was moving in. The author made sure she took some time to introduces the characters so well, so I can say I was impressed by the character development. The ending was everything. For a person like me who is into plot twists, this was amazing. I didn't see it coming. The chemistry between Lily and James made the book come to life.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I am enjoying this book so far. I’m almost finished with it. As others above have said, I love Lily’s love for playing the piano. I am enjoying the romantic story between them. But as was already mentioned, i’m not fond of all the sexual scenes so early on. Maybe one or so, or just a bit lighter to start out.
Anyway I would give what I’ve read so far a 4 out of 4 stars. It’s holding my attention very well.
The Reviewer63
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-reviewer63.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by The Reviewer63 »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars it is an amazing romance saga. Although i don't like romance but i could not help myself to come of out of this book. The story of a master and slave falling in love attracted me. I did like the strong character of Lily and i am neutral about the character of the James. Reccomend it to the lovers of romance and historical fiction.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I truly enjoyed reading this book. My favorite feature was the unpredictability, as I could never guess what would happen next. I kept on trying, just to find out that I was dead wrong, and I loved being fooled by the author!

What I did not like that much was the author’s manner to use countless pages to describe one small scene, but then speed forward the story until the next “frozen” scene. This mannerism reminded me of soaps such as The Bold and the Beautiful. The writing style was very emotional and descriptive.

This book has definitely historical fiction and romance woven into it. I have recommended this book to my friends who like the mixture of those two genres, and will continue doing so. I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars, and am very much looking forward to reading the sequel.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

First and foremost, bingo to historical and romantic novel fans! This book is ideal for people who enjoy those kinds of novels. It's honestly very well written and keeps you on the edge of your seat, eliciting numerous types of feelings to the point where you can't put the book down. Because it describes a love story between a white man and his slave, the book reminds me of a roller coaster trip. The plot is driven by tension and frustration as the couple tries to establish a life together. I can't help but give this book a perfect rating - 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”