What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Comfort279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort279.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Post by Comfort279 »

Because anything can happen, I'll say their relationship Is not forced. However, Lily might be afraid if James truly loves her, as she is a slave.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I think the relationship between Lily and James is romantic as they were once childhood friends but their relationship is kind of weird as the society greatly affects it.
havillah108
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-havillah108.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy

Post by havillah108 »

James and Lily shared feelings for each other. Lily was also madly in love with him. I found it romantic that James prioritized Lily's career over his own. Their indulgence in
sex before solving the issue to do with Jesse was inappropriate for me. I'm still not convinced that James will be able to protect and support Lily when she encounters difficulties on his father's farm.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

The bond between James and Lily was neither forced nor wrong, in my opinion. It was a shared sentiment. I understand that it may have been incomplete at times, but there was nothing forced or wrong about their connection.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

I do not think it was forced or inappropriate. However, I think the level of intimacy between them made it romantic. Sincerely, the author did a good job.
My Nguyen 4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by My Nguyen 4 »

In my opinion, this is really the book that I love the most. And in this book, the romantic relationship between Lily and James moved me. I love the way they love each other, from friends to lovers. This relationship, for me, is really not forced but a romantic relationship. Their relationship proved that love can do all things, everything can be conquered by love.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Because of their friendship since they were younger, I do not think it was forced, but it was unconventional.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I think their relationship was predestined. Their relationship is a case of 'where you can't help but love someone'. It was romantic in my opinion. I never felt it was forced or inappropriate. They understood each other's inner feelings, even when they were kids; so, it was appropriate that they fall in love. Great love stories can never be confined to the boundaries of standard relationships. There will be obstacles, for sure, but in the end, their relationship will come out strong.
Ndagire Hassifah
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ndagire Hassifah »

I don't think James and Lily's relationship is forced. They have been attracted to each other since childhood. And James's feelings seems sincere.
Grampy
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grampy.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Grampy »

Sheilaread wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 21:37 I also agree with others. I like where their relationship is trying to go. I liked how they start out as friends when they were little, but now, I feel she is much more in love than he is at this time. Maybe she is a bit more mature? Maybe he needs to mature mentally a little? I guess if there are more books, maybe we will see these too again. But for now, i’m not sure their love will last forever. I don’t feel it’s very forced though.
I enjoyed the book and I feel it portrayed a perfect romantic book, but the love life of James and Lily felt a little force. Something just felt off for me.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

I feel the relationship was forced. Especially from James angle, I was not feeling the genuineness of his feeling towards Lily; it didn't seem like something that would endure.
Tamika Chitwanga
Currently Reading: The Reason: How I Discovered a Life Worth Living
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamika-chitwanga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Tamika Chitwanga »

It was a decent attempt at romance if you're looking at it from a detached perspective. But if we are going to delve into the actual definition of romance, it feels far-fetched and wrong. Not because of the race, but more because of it being a twisted Stockholm case wrapped up in the guise of cotton candy childhood friends to lovers charade.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I do not believe the relationship was forced. Throughout the book, there are great examples of James's love for Lily. He shows tenderness at times. I think most people question the validity of his love for Lily based on his anger management issues. There are is a vast number of people in the world who have both jealousy and anger issues.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

The ties between James and Lily are the purest for me. Having been emotionally attached since then aggrandizes a spark more in their connection. I like that it ended in that way.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I think it is a perfect addition to the story and quite believable. Numerous stories of the slave trade era confirm romantic relationships between masters and slaves.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”