Ending

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Ending

Post by Wesusa »

A common trend permeating a great many of the reviews of "The Prodigy Slave" on the site revolve around its cryptic ending. I recently read through it, and although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I too was a bit confused by the ending. While I quite enjoyed its significance to the story and its nature of being a cliffhanger does induce some excitement for the sequel, I don't think it stuck the landing completely. It felt a bit abrupt and not cohesive enough. What did you think of the ending? Was it effective, or did it simply not need to happen?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Wesusa wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:20 A common trend permeating a great many of the reviews of "The Prodigy Slave" on the site revolve around its cryptic ending. I recently read through it, and although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I too was a bit confused by the ending. While I quite enjoyed its significance to the story and its nature of being a cliffhanger does induce some excitement for the sequel, I don't think it stuck the landing completely. It felt a bit abrupt and not cohesive enough. What did you think of the ending? Was it effective, or did it simply not need to happen?
I found the ending abrupt and left very little regarding what to expect for the next book. I was unsure of which characters were involved in the ending, and I can say that the ending left me not wanting to finish the series. I do think the ending needed to happen, but the execution could have been better.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:57
Wesusa wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:20 A common trend permeating a great many of the reviews of "The Prodigy Slave" on the site revolve around its cryptic ending. I recently read through it, and although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I too was a bit confused by the ending. While I quite enjoyed its significance to the story and its nature of being a cliffhanger does induce some excitement for the sequel, I don't think it stuck the landing completely. It felt a bit abrupt and not cohesive enough. What did you think of the ending? Was it effective, or did it simply not need to happen?
I found the ending abrupt and left very little regarding what to expect for the next book. I was unsure of which characters were involved in the ending, and I can say that the ending left me not wanting to finish the series. I do think the ending needed to happen, but the execution could have been better.
Perfectly said. I found it abrupt and it really could have been done better. Whether or not I pursue the sequel is now up in the air. Thanks for the insight!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Aubrie_Waters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrie-waters.html
Latest Review: The Northern Pike Story by Thomas Ashmore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aubrie_Waters »

I think this was a wonderful book; however, I agree. Personally, I thought that the ending was half-baked. Part of me thinks that the author wasn't sure how she wanted to end it, and that's why it's so abrupt. Overall, I feel like the ending changed tone and writing style completely. I can see how it can entice people to read the sequel, but it missed the mark for me.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

The ending that doesn't exceed people's expectations should not be made. Especially if the book was a master piece. It could kill the book dead and make the reader disappointed for it. As is the case for this book so I agree. The author should have been satisfied with only one book and not ruin it with a sequel
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
OTrain D
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-d.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by OTrain D »

I so loved and appreciated the ending. It was so unexpected yet so needed. From the middle of the book, I could tell that this wasn't a story to be told in one week. That is just me, I look ahead of things. But the plot twists succeeded to keep me in my toes at least and left me with my mouth agape.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I agree with you. The ending was very abrupt and didn't leave room for anticipation of the next book. I hope the author does better with the next book.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I loved the unpredictability of the ending. I did not see it coming and was completely surprised by it. Romance books tend to have a certain type of ending, and this was not typical, not at all! It left me totally confused and wanting to get my hands on the sequel as fast as possible to see how the story would continue. To conclude, I think the ending was a very successful cliffhanger.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Although the novel is amazing in my opinion, I thought the ending was a little rushed. As a result, I was a little taken aback. I believe the author could have done a better job on that.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I completely enjoyed reading this book. I love the chemistry between Lily and James. I really don't have any feelings regarding the end of this book, though the end was quite abrupt but it didn't act as an hinder in the reading flow.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

AfraBrb wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 15:48 The ending that doesn't exceed people's expectations should not be made. Especially if the book was a master piece. It could kill the book dead and make the reader disappointed for it. As is the case for this book so I agree. The author should have been satisfied with only one book and not ruin it with a sequel
I definitely agree. The ending is the most crucial part of the story, because even if you have a bad start or bad middle, none of them are as detrimental as the ending. I think this book easily could've been a singular story.

Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Aubrie_Waters wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 14:57 I think this was a wonderful book; however, I agree. Personally, I thought that the ending was half-baked. Part of me thinks that the author wasn't sure how she wanted to end it, and that's why it's so abrupt. Overall, I feel like the ending changed tone and writing style completely. I can see how it can entice people to read the sequel, but it missed the mark for me.
That's an interesting idea and it does clear up a lot of questions I had regarding the ending. I did think it felt out of place and really would have been fine as only one story.

Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Paluk Pathania wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 08:04 Although the novel is amazing in my opinion, I thought the ending was a little rushed. As a result, I was a little taken aback. I believe the author could have done a better job on that.
Thats a great way to put it. The ending was not perfect but I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it could've been worse. Thanks for the insight.

Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I agree that the ending was abrupt and convoluted. Instead or providing a cohesive end it created problems with the attempt to be a cliff hanger.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The ending left me hanging but I think it was intentional. It was a motivator to make you want to read the second book because the result could go in several different directions.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”