Ending

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Ending

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I felt like the last chapters were overshadowing something bad, as if the author hinted that something is going to happen that will change the plans they had. It happened abruptly, and the chaos took place at the last few pages of the book, leaving the reader in a cliffhanger. But with all the emotional scenes each character had with Lily before the end made me feel like they were some sort of farewell speeches.
“Just keep swimming.”
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Adeyemi6 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 20:56 I must say that the author surprised me with the ending, which was not what I expected. I was startled to learn that the story took so long to finish. I'm guessing the tale will be wrapped up in the following book in the series.
That's an interesting stand point. I can definitely see that maybe the extended period of time it took to work on it just spurred a sudden change in its ending. Possibly the subsequent sequels were not always intended- and that's something that is certainly noticeable from the state of the ending for me.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Shridhar S wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 06:14 I HATE books with cliffhangers. So obviously, I did not like the ending of The Prodigy Slave. It was a wonderful book with great scenes and raw emotions, but I felt like there was no resolution at the end and I gave to read a whole other book to find out what happens next.
This perfectly encapsulates what I was thinking. Great progression of the story until its final parts, the ending was somewhat clumsy and didn't align with the writing of the rest of the book.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Ana Barrantes wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 15:21 The ending was abrupt and confusing. While I did like the story and characters, I think this is a story that can be told in one book. Ending it this way to try and get a sequel seems counterproductive when it left many of the readers unsatisfied.
This is a pretty standard point of view. The story really could have been wrapped up and it wouldn't interrupt the flow of the book or feel abrupt. Now it feels jarringly out of place and I have no idea what to even expect for a sequel.

Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

An ending to a fantastic story is like the last spoon to a delicious meal which both have to. Hence, the writer brought the ending in an expected way and many of the readers were left 'dangling' like I did. The author in my view could have ended by taking the reader through the events and symbolising the end is near.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

The ending was definitely abrupt and not as thought out as it ought to have been. Whether that is due to the author being unsure as to how to develop the story or if it was to whet the appetite for a sequel, I do not know. However, it detracted from what was overall, a great book.
Larissa Sawers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissa-sawers.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Larissa Sawers »

I concur with a lot of comments before me. The ending was abrupt, and it didn't quite instill the excitement of the next book like it should have. I think the author wasn't sure what the plot of the second book was going to be. She left the cliffhanger vague to give herself more room to work with.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I cannot stand endings that are so abrupt and jarring that they are almost an obvious ploy to get you to read the sequel. This is how the ending felt to me, like a poor attempt to 'hook' the reader into reading the next book.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
pudding047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pudding047.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by pudding047 »

I feel that the ending was intentionally meant to be that surprising, but yes, it did not resonate with me. At the same time, I am excited for the sequel just to figure out the complete plot of this book and, I think that was precisely the author's intention. I guess the author was just not ready to end the book on a definitive note.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

The sudden twist in the ending took me by surprise. However, though rushed, I later came to appreciate that the author was setting a platform for the upcoming volume. This is not to say that I was totally satisfied since it left me with mixed feelings.
Brianna Frater 1
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-frater-1.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Brianna Frater 1 »

Kashmir Lalla wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 23:27 I did not think the ending was too abrupt. It was unexpected and suspenseful. The author readers in a perfect cliffhanger and I found myself anticipating the next book. I think the ending was well-planned and executed effectively.

I 100% agree with you. I'm not really one for cliffhangers cause by the time I wait for the next book to be released, I've already moved on and made up my own scenario's of what the next book would be. This book grabbed my interest from the beginning and I'm actually anxious to see what'll happen next.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

For a series, I think the abrupt ending of the book was planned by the author to get readers anxious about the next series.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

The author could have done better with the ending but I didn't find it that bad, I loved the elements of surprise and unpredictability.
Comfort279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort279.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Comfort279 »

I also agree that the ending was open ended to make readers want to continue the sequel. I have nothing much to say about this. It's the author's choice.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Wesusa wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:20 A common trend permeating a great many of the reviews of "The Prodigy Slave" on the site revolve around its cryptic ending. I recently read through it, and although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I too was a bit confused by the ending. While I quite enjoyed its significance to the story and its nature of being a cliffhanger does induce some excitement for the sequel, I don't think it stuck the landing completely. It felt a bit abrupt and not cohesive enough. What did you think of the ending? Was it effective, or did it simply not need to happen?
I do think it was too sudden as well, however, I've read too many books that ended like this one and their sequel more than made up for the abruptness of the first installment's ending. So I'll stay my verdict until I read the next installment.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”