Ending

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Samuel Ade 1
Currently Reading: The Lightning Thief
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: Ending

Post by Samuel Ade 1 »

I felt like the ending was very much needed. The cliffhanger makes its sequel desirable. If it had ended in a flat and conclusive note, I may not have wanted to read the sequel
havillah108
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-havillah108.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy

Post by havillah108 »

I was let down by the book's conclusion. It felt a little abrupt and disjointed to me. The ending of the book could have something to do with James attempting to rescue Lily while she is unaware, but that's just my opinion. I think the author surprised her readers a little too much with her ending. I guess it was a little hurried. There was far too much surprise and mystery at the end.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I've read the three books in this series and speaking from the perspective of one who knows the whole story, I'll say that the end of this book was just perfect. Speaking from the perspective of when I had read only the first book, I'll say that the 'abrupt' ending is instrumental in spurring the reader to continue with the second book. The abrupt ending was merely the end of Lily's career, not the end of the story.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I think the author felt the need for the abrupt ending to compel the reader to read the next book. Maybe they thought more people will check out the next book at least out of curiosity/shock. But it was unnecessary. The story was great; I would have read the next book with or without the cliffhanger.
Aarushi Pareek
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Hallowed Ground
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarushi-pareek.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Aarushi Pareek »

I think "The Prodigy Slave" is a fantastic book with well-developed characters. However, I did not like the ending of the book. It is quite abrupt and confusing.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I do agree that the ending was abrupt and could have been clearer. I am interested in reading the sequel, but the ending of the first book makes me feel somewhat forced into it rather than led into it of my own volition.
Ratii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ratii.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Ratii »

The ending of this book was truly unpredictable. I was not expecting it to happen, and it left me confused as to how the story would continue. It was a successful cliffhanger.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Normally I enjoy that feeling of resolution that comes with an ending, where all loose ends are tied. This book's ending leaves too many questions unanswered and I did not like that.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I completely agree, the book deserved a more cohesive ending than it got. It was far too abrupt and left me unsure as to whether or not to pursue reading the sequel.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Grampy
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grampy.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Grampy »

Wesusa wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:20 A common trend permeating a great many of the reviews of "The Prodigy Slave" on the site revolve around its cryptic ending. I recently read through it, and although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I too was a bit confused by the ending. While I quite enjoyed its significance to the story and its nature of being a cliffhanger does induce some excitement for the sequel, I don't think it stuck the landing completely. It felt a bit abrupt and not cohesive enough. What did you think of the ending? Was it effective, or did it simply not need to happen?
The ending felt abrupt, I wasn't expecting that. I have enjoyed the story right from the beginning so I hoped on that the ending will have such captivating vibe. At some point I felt like dropping the book but I was far too gone to stop. The end needed to happen but should have be written in such captivating way as the other chapters. Great book though!
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This book was an amazing read. I like that the ending was unpredictable and left me wanting more. I think the author did this on purpose. It opens the reader to new ideas of what the next book might contain.
Yennefer_
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yennefer.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Yennefer_ »

In my opinion, the novel is fantastic. Lily and James have a great chemistry. I actually don't have any concerns about the ending of this book; it was a little sudden, but it didn't impact the overall flow.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

After I read the ending, I sat there in shock for a moment. I was mad at how the final chapter went. It was a complete 180 from what I could have imagined happening. I understand the cliffhanger in a series. However if I had been reading the actual book, I would have probably thrown it. Luckily, I was able to stop myself from throwing my phone.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

I love the ending, and it made me contemplate that there is the next sequel to anticipate. Despite the odds, indeed, the value of this book and the number of epiphanies I have was paramount. I am excited to read the next book, if there is any.
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

I love the ending, and it made me contemplate that there is the next sequel to anticipate. Despite the odds, indeed, the value of this book and the number of epiphanies I have was paramount. I am excited to read the next book, if there is any.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”