Slave Codes

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Slave Codes

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I think the codes helped a lot in understanding the consciousness of the actions each character took to help Lily. It enraged me knowing that humans made these codes for other human beings and forced them to obey them. When I read this question asked by a kid in this book: “Papa, how come only brown people are slaves?” and when no one answered the kid it infuriated me to see that they made codes with no logical explanation even for a curious kid.
“Just keep swimming.”
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I liked the codes at the beginning of each chapter. Some of them were made to sound like it was something that was a benefit for the slave, but of course, wasn't. And since most of the slaves couldn't read, they were at a disadvantage defending themselves.
-Amy
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I agree that the slave codes formed an essential part of the story. It helped readers understand the period better and added some weight to the scenes once you understood the stakes and the character motivations.
Larissa Sawers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissa-sawers.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Larissa Sawers »

As a black reader, I have a different point of view. It helped the story and gave an understanding of the slave owner's behavior. As it relates to the story, it was to help ease the reader's uncomfortableness that might arise from the relationship. However, many plantation owners didn’t need justification. It was simple. It was cheaper to buy a slave than it was to pay someone a fair wage to do the job. Slave codes weren’t law, and a lot of them weren't followed since there wasn’t any real power enforcing them.

To give some context for my rant. I am Jamaican. The first comprehensive English slave code was established in Barbados, in 1661. Slave codes were put in place in the Colony of Jamaica in 1664. America didn’t adopt its first set of slave codes until 1691.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It helped me a lot. Especially for those of us outside of the US, even if we know the basic history of slavery and its abolition is sometimes hard to grasp how incredibly objectifying these laws were. So, even if it was heart-wrenching, I found this addendum very useful.
Phyll Kamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyll-kamau.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Phyll Kamau »

The slave codes are essential to the book as they helped me understand its setting. Although they don't justify enslavement, I found that the codes gave me insights into the cruelties that enslaved people and their sympathizers endured. Further, they helped me understand the depravity of slavers and masters.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Nowadays, many are not aware how inhumane slaves had been treated. Slave codes at the beginning of each chapter make it easier for the reader to understand the mindset of the slave owners at that era. So, I believe they are essential.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

The encompassing of slave codes was very vital. Though brutal, they provided a glimpse of the slaves' predicaments. The actions of the employers seemed to be guided by the codes most of the time
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

The slave codes were a vital part of the book and I'm happy the author did not shy away from them. They put the whole experience of slavery into perspective.
Comfort279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort279.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Comfort279 »

I agree. The slave code assisted readers in understanding the story and how slaves are being treated.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

The slave code should not be left out because it gives readers a better understanding of why people are treated in different ways, this is essential.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

In my opinion, the slave codes serve two purposes. Aside from helping readers understand and relate with how slaves were treated at the time, it also provides a base upon which the author's narrations are hinged so as to make the story intriguing and believable.
Dominique M 5
Currently Reading: Mirrored Sword Part One
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominique-m-5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Dominique M 5 »

I think the slave codes being there were meaningful. They helped to drive the point of how terrible slavery at the time was and to help you understand why certain scenes were taking place.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

The slave codes were actually necessary in understanding times. It was also brought me back to historical books and helped me understand some of the events in the book.
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

The dress codes are absolutely an essential part of the book. Not only did they help me understand the period, but they also gave me a sense of how the chapter would evolve.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”