Slave Codes

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Slave Codes

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I think it was important to include the slave codes in the book. It confised me at first but then I ‘clicked’ and I understood better.
T22H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by T22H »

The slave code didn't only help me to understand the time period better, but it also gave meaning to the book. The code provided a justification for every action that was done, which gave me a clear understanding of the pain and suffering the slave went through.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

I really find the slave codes not just helpful but also witty and attention-seeking. Yes, I believe the slave codes play an important role in the book. Additionally, it adds a little aroma to the work’s plea.
Chinecherem A
Currently Reading: Alwyn And June Crawshaw's Outdoor Painting Course
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinecherem-a.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Chinecherem A »

I agree. Including the slave code helped in understanding the plot and the rationale for the characters actions and showed the extent of brutality meted out on slaves. It's also a good pointer to the history of slavery.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I dare say that Africans did once practice slavery legally long before America even existed. That is not to justify a despicable practice, but rather to reinforce the point you make. As a history nut, I have learned that it is futile to judge people through our modern lenses that do not take cognisance of their times. So, absolutely, the slave codes help illustrate the context of this book. Besides, I was going to dismiss this book as just another romance novel until I noticed those codes and changed my mind. They taught me a lot. For example, slavery was racist, yes, but it was also about economics. Some of the codes dealt with the slave care and upkeep rules in much the same way as a horse, cow or other livestock. So, if they had been omitted, I would not have read the book.
Kelsey Copeland
Currently Reading: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-copeland.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Kelsey Copeland »

I’d much rather have the inclusion of the slave codes. It helps make their reality a part of yours, too. There are so many little bits of information that we take for granted in our society that would have to be explained to someone from a different time, and I think if the slave codes weren’t included, that would add an extra step to understanding the heart of the story. That extra step isn’t inherently bad, but as a writer myself this makes me question how often I leave the reader guessing.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

The authors decision to include the slave codes was a wise choice. The slave code helped me to understand the time it took place and the treatment of the slaves
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

I can certainly see the need for them, since they did enlighten us a bit more about the era the book is written in, making a lot of things make sense, but "justifying" the actions that were taking place feels like a misuse of term to me. Something that is wrong, is wrong, regardless of what the law may be in that part of the world or time.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

I have some disagreement on this. I don't see the notion behind this inhuman act. But on the other side of the coin, Slave Codes helped me justify the actions.
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by nwanasebuka »

I wholeheartedly concur with you. These slave codes, in my opinion, were critical to the book's success. It gave the narrative additional depth and insight. They not only helped me understand the period, but they also provided me with valuable information about slavery.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I thought it was interesting how the different slave codes came up at different times and I definitely connected the selected codes mentioned in the story to the events of different chapters of the book. They were very informative as well
Jumana Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana Fawmi »

I think it was necessary to add the slave code. It not only made me understand the time period it also added more depth to the story
tyron esendi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyron-esendi.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by tyron esendi »

The slave codes are absolutely necessary and essential to the story. I got a lot of information about the historical context of the story. The codes also lend a psychological insight into the minds of the characters who perpetuated the slave culture in the book. I often wondered what would make a person think it's okay to treat a fellow human being as property? The codes offered an interesting insight into the slaveowner's psyche.
Georgina Rossi
Currently Reading: Secrets the Walkers Keep
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Georgina Rossi »

The Codes were bothersome for the first few chapters, but they soon became invaluable to my understanding of the plot: not only giving me a hint of what was coming in that chapter but also explaining why and how the characters behaved.
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Boohoo31 »

I think the slave code is to help the reader to deeply understand the plot better. The slave code serves like a restriction of the slave’s movement by the master.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”