the effect of society on james and lily's relatioship

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

the effect of society on james and lily's relatioship

Post by Salah bourouba »

do you think that james and lily's relationship was affected by the slave code and society around them? or do you think they jut didn't care and chose to go against everyone for the sake of their love?
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Myreview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Myreview »

James and Lily's relationship was affected by the slave code and the society. The upbringing that James received and the way society treated the "slave" made it difficult for James to be open about his feelings for Lily.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I think James and Lily's relationship was affected by the slave code and society around them. Their relationship wasn't easy and I feel it was a bit strained due to societal circumstances and the different positions they bore in their world.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

It was definitely affected by the slave code. I mean what kind of relationship could one really have when everything has to be hidden and careful coordinated away from society's eye. While we do see the courage of Lily, there was only so much that could have been done without fear of being caught and condemned by society
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I think their relationship is affected by the slave codes and the society. That's why they have to do things together secretly. I think they are afraid of not only the condemnation by society but also the possibility of outrage, even violence against them. From this perspective, they just do the right thing that they can.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

Society and slave code did affect their relationship. I think their different upbringings made it so that they understood very little about each other. That lack of understanding makes the relationship feel forced, even if the attraction and affection are present.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

Ana Barrantes wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 01:01 Society and slave code did affect their relationship. I think their different upbringings made it so that they understood very little about each other. That lack of understanding makes the relationship feel forced, even if the attraction and affection are present.
I agree with you. I think the upbringing is also one of the factors in their forced looking relationship.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Despite the fact that it was not explicitly stated, it is clear that the slave code and society have an impact on their relationship. They go to some lengths to hide things simply to show their affection. As a result, the aforementioned factors have an effect on their connection, yet they endear each other.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

Well, of course James' and lily's relationship was affected by the slave code and society. I could tell that they genuinely loved each other, but other people just could not accept that. As a result, they kept hurting each other.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Society affected their relationship in a very negative way. First of all, James had to take her to a very far place before he made his feelings known to her. She also found it weird about what people will think about them
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I would say that no matter how anyone feels, ones societal upbringing would have an effect on them. I think James felt uncomfortable to open up because of the upbringing he had. He didn't seem quite okay with what people would say.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

The wide gap in social status created by the slave code affected the relationship between Lily and James. The fact that they had to hide their relationship and affection for each other from society created a strain in their relationship. With this, I think they just had to do everything for the sake of their love.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I think that their relationship was affected by the societal norms at that time. It was not easy or natural for James and Lily to open up to each other because that was how they had been brought up.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I think that James and Lily's relationship was definitely affected by society. There was even a time when they were young that James' father actively prevented them from being friends. They even had to hide their relationship. From all I read, I think their relationship was affected by the times.
Abdullah daliath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-daliath.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Abdullah daliath »

It definitely affected them. Although James wanted to be open about his feelings towards lily. The slave code stopped him. This does not necessarily make him a bad person.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”