To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Re: To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I can see why you are sceptical about Lily learning the piano, particularly given the code that limited the amount of time a slave could be on the master’s premises. And learning to play the piano does take a lot of time and practice. But slaves were musical people and artistic ability is a talent, meaning a lack of background isn’t necessarily an impediment. Slaves often provided musical entertainment for their masters’ families and guests, so it is not a stretch to portray Lily in this light. Also, slaves, as do normal people, broke the rules in spite of the consequences. So, I disagree that the author is unrealistic in this particular case. As to what is and is not in ‘outright contrast to the slave era’, that is indeterminable without making the book a historical one, which is not what the author intended.
Trustedbest
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trustedbest.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Trustedbest »

In as much as the author portrayed the happenings of the slave era in a very realistic manner there are some that seem very unrealistic as I could not imagine the harsh punishment
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by nwanasebuka »

Because the author performed so well in this situation, I couldn't dispute how the author perceived such ordeals. A number of witnesses testified that violence, cruelty, and humiliation occurred throughout the slave era. The author's portrayal of each character, on the other hand, was occasionally off-putting, which I found impossible.
Kenneth Chimezie
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kenneth Chimezie »

To some extent the author did a good job to showcase the reality of this book. Although the punishment and harrasment would make you wonder if this turely happened in the time of salvery.
Chinwe Favour
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinwe-favour.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Chinwe Favour »

With stories I have heard and movies I watched about the slave era, I think the author did a great job making the story very realistic. Although, the characters relationship gave me some doubt.
Trustedpls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trustedpls.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Trustedpls »

The plot was realistic to an extent I felt the connection between what the author wrote and what had occurred during the slave era. However, I the punishment described seemed to harsh to deepct reality.
The Reviewer63
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-reviewer63.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by The Reviewer63 »

We always assume that slaves had to bear harassment, bad behavior but there were some examples of good behavior with slaves. And yeah Lilly'sability to play piano without any lessons was quite unrealsitic. logic does not explain it.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

Although slaves aren't very common these days, this book was a bit realistic because it dwelled on Lily and how much she's had to suffer as a slave. Although, some parts aren't because a slave wouldn't dare touch or play the piano even countless times as she did.
Jumana Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana Fawmi »

The author did a good job in making the story more realistic. I found the relationship between Lilly and James a bit unreal depending on the time frame.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

For me, the book is quite realistic. Generally, slaves were seen as mere things. But the personality of the slave masters were not the same. Some slave masters were kind enough to allow their slaves enjoy some basic needs of life. So, the author's narrative of Lily sneaking out to play her master's piano is, to me, realistic. Remember, some slaves were even given the opportunity to learn some skills. Remember also that slaves like Olauda Equiano were even financially able to buy their own freedom. So, the point should be the condition in which the slave finds himself or herself.
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Boohoo31 »

The author did a great job trying to make the story realistic, but there’s a loophole there because it takes a long time of practice to master the piano and even to recognize the tones and everything.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

If not even the author has the power and right to sweeten the situation about slave trading in its book and vision, who else? For me, it didn't matter that the story didn't portray the exact environment and situation as it was in the real-life, because the book is not a history book, but a romantic historical novel.
Evey+21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Evey+21 »

I find "The Prodigy Slave" very realistic. It reflects real historical events in the South during Slavery in the United States. I really enjoyed the book even though it was emotionally draining. I went through a range of emotions, from crying to smiling every few pages. I can't wait to read books 2 & 3.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

Slave stories are always a piece of work. If the harsh treatments are credible, so can other plots be.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I couldn't question how the author interpreted such ordeals because the author did well in this case. Violence, cruelty, and humiliation did definitely occur during the slave era, as evidenced by a number of witnesses. On the other hand, the author's characterization of each character was occasionally off-putting, which I found implausible.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”