To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
ELSETH MAEVE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elseth-maeve.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Post by ELSETH MAEVE »

Since this story is fictitious, I will try to believe that everything was real. For example, it showed that Lily was wise, blessed, beautiful, strong, and courageous. Of course, we can't overlook the current turmoil that was present at the time. But let's try to live within the fantasy.
ELSETH MAEVE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elseth-maeve.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by ELSETH MAEVE »

Since this story is fictitious, I will try to believe that everything was real. For example, it showed that Lily was wise, blessed, beautiful, strong, and courageous. Of course, we can't overlook the current turmoil that was present at the time. But let's try to live within the fantasy.
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

The tactile intricacies associated with the piano makes Lily skill in it purely from memory a tad farfetched. Their relationship is not that hard to fathom. But I suppose such scenarios could have played out during that era, it just will be very rare.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Clueless & Headstrong by Eyvonne Black

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

I believe the story to be realistic to a reasonable extent. Although some facts and images were difficult to picture, the author did a wonderful job of portraying the slave era via Lily's character.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Clueless & Headstrong by Eyvonne Black

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

I believe the story to be realistic to a reasonable extent. Although some facts and images were difficult to picture, the author did a wonderful job of portraying the slave era via Lily's character.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

There are three questionable points in this book.
First of all, Lily is very brave. As many people have mentioned here, she secretly plays her master's piano. I read the memoirs of former slaves. As a rule, the slaves were mostly very intimidated. Therefore, Lily must have been afraid to play her master's piano.
Besides, they've been profoundly brainwashed. The slave might well consider herself too low to play her master's piano, or something like that.
Secondly, Lily is very smart and talented for mere human being. She learned to play the piano just by ear. Nobody taught her. This is very difficult. She isn't just prodigy, she is a real miracle.
Thirdly, the relationship between James and Lily looks like real love.
However, this book isn't a historical research, but a novel. Therefore, some liberties are allowed in it. At least Lily doesn't secretly build a nuclear bomb, and James doesn't turn out to be an alien disguised as a human.
Jackson ONeil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackson-oneil.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Jackson ONeil »

The way slave masters treated the slaves in that era was too harsh for a slave to even think of sneaking into his master's house to play the piano. I praise the ability of the author to make the book as near reality as possible. Still, that act of Lily and her ability to play the piano without prior lessons made the whole narration imbalance.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

The author did well in making the story a realistic one but the point where Lily sneaking into her master's house to play piano seems a bit unrealistic.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”