To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Post by Huini Hellen »

Multiple sources of literature portray the slave trade era as not only physically overwhelming but also mentally anguishing as well. It, therefore, beats logic that Lily dared to sneak and play her master's piano whenever he was away. Her lack of music background further dents her excellent ability to play the codes out of her mnemonic abilities. Do you think the author should have at least made the few achievements of the slaves quite realistic? Which other episodes do you find as an outright contrast to the slave trade era?
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I agree with you. Seeing the punishments, harassments and harsh behaviour towards slaves, it is difficult to believe that this can happen in the slave era. I also think master the piano only based on sharp memory is very difficult.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Post by Jodeci 007 »

The author did a very good job of making the story as realistic as possible. However, some parts are difficult to imagine, especially the main characters' relationship in that era.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

I couldn't question how the author interpreted such ordeals because the author did well in this case. Violence, cruelty, and humiliation did definitely occur during the slave era, as evidenced by a number of witnesses. On the other hand, the author's characterization of each character was occasionally off-putting, which I found implausible.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

Although the book covered some of the harsh things slaves faced at that time, it wasn't quite a lot. I kind of questioned how James and Lily were into each other, seeing as they were childhood best friends, I let that pass. But Lily's ability to play piano without any lessons, on the other hand, I found a bit unrealistic.
Edem Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edem-michael.html
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman

Post by Edem Michael »

To a reasonable extent, I think I find the story to be realistic. The author did a good job of representing the slave era through Lily's character, although some facts and scenes were quite hard to imagine.
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I totally agree with you, and I thought about the same thing while I read. Lily should have been too scared to even attempt playing those codes., regardless of her masters' absence.
Rashi Agrawal
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashi-agrawal.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashi Agrawal »

I think you have got a point here. I agree with you. Though the author has done a great job in representing the slave era, there are few shortcomings and some parts of the book seem to be too unrealistic. That could have been improved.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The author did a wonderful job in trying to make the major and minor characters as realistic as possible. However, Lily sneaking to play piano in his masters house whenever he was away is not that realistic, especially in the era of slave trading.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

The way slave masters treated the slaves in that era was too harsh for a slave to even think of sneaking into his master's house to play the piano. I praise the ability of the author to make the book as near reality as possible. Still, that act of Lily and her ability to play the piano without prior lessons made the whole narration imbalance.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

The plot was very realistic. This stories are not far-fetched the happened during the slave era. I used Lily's story to imagine what it felt like to be slave. James' story made me understand what loving a slave was like
TUSHAR_4041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by TUSHAR_4041 »

The author did a great job to make the story realistic and it felt realistic most of the time. But there were some instances which are hard to believe like the harsh punishments in the slave era and the relationships.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I belive that stories are bound to be a little unrealistic and based on extraordinary coincidences or sheer luck. The author has done a good job on keeping the book realistic while putting in a few rare traits and situations as well, like Lily's inherent musical skills.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Overall the author did a great job of making the story realistic although some parts were a little more far fetched such as the piano playing and the characters relationships.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I found the relationship between Lilly and James unrealistic for the era. However, as for Lilly knowing how to play the piano without lessons is perfectly realistic because there are people who are naturally inclined to play the piano 'by ear.' I actually know several personally. Some people just have a God-given talent for music.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”