To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Re: To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Yeah, I agree. Their achievements were mostly unrealistic. The slave trade era was not perfectly portrayed. Slaves didn't have such luxury in those days.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Definitely. The author should have made their achievements realistic. Slaves during that era were smart and some achieved a lot.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

I think the author did good establishing the book, it's pretty realistic to me with the exception of that piano bit, especially in their era. But hey, this is fiction, and some are just born gifted.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

While going through this book I recollected reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I think book has done justice in depicting the mindset of a slave and from that angle it went well. Stories of such genre generally evoke soft sentiments in us and to that extent book was successful.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

I think it’s how the relationship between Lily and James turned out. I find it realistic because, during such an era, some relationships are indeed affected by societal standards. They need the effort to work it out effectively.
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

Most of the storyline in the book is realistic. However, I also feel that piano skills are too complex for the otherwise easy portrayal in the book.
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I believe this book was very realistic, and Lily sneaking to play the master's piano was just a way of showing the extent some slaves would go to pursue their despite the repercussions they would face. I believe many slaves took such risks during that era for the sake of pursuing their passions.
Katelyn Townsend 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-townsend-1.html
Latest Review: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova by J.G. Schwartz

Post by Katelyn Townsend 1 »

While the novel is enjoyable, I personally don't think it's very realistic. Slaves rarely defied their masters openly, as punishments were usually very harsh back in the time period. Slaves were also usually overworked, so Lily wouldn't have much free time to play the piano. Finally, playing the piano is extremely complex. You must be able to read and understand music notes, the piano keys, and finger placement in order to successfully play. Even a person with extraordinary mnemonic abilities would struggle. I think adding a few more realistic achievements would've benefitted the overall realism of The Prodigy Slave.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think the aspects you mentioned are not realistic, but in order to enjoy the story, the reader has to be willing to suspend disbelief at details that are not completely historically accurate. If unable to do so, the premise is hard to engage with to start with.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

The book was realistic to a larger extent. All books need an element of fiction to be interesting and the author kept that element at a minimum. Lily sneaking in to play her master's piano was a stretch considering the conditions in the slave trade era. Although, rule breakers have been there since the beginning of time. Mischief has always existed no-matter the consequences so it might not be all that unrealistic that Lily sneaked in to play that piano.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

The story is somewhat realistic. It's called forbidden love. Even though Lily and James are from different backgrounds, love has a way of making the impossible possible. Lily is strong-willed, intelligent and gifted; she can play the piano. I believe it's somewhat realistic.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

The author's narration on keeping slaves was realistic but the relationship between Lily and James seemed to have been far-fetched.
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

Honestly speaking, I'm not well versed in history, so to me, the story seemed to be handled pretty realistically. I'm also not very knowledgeable on music, so I wouldn't make any criticism on the realness of Lily's talent. But, seeing how it's so heavily stressed that her talents are so rare(never before seen by any of the other characters in the book, or much in real history), I think the author made it as realistic as possible given that we don't have a clear reference ourselves to observe from.

Lily was a child at the time she was taken to live with James. At her age, it's very realistic that her naive self would take the needless risk of sneaking around and playing the piano, at least to me.
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

Although this book is labeled as historical fiction, the author's portrayal of slavery and the budding love between Lily and James is a realistic representation of how slaves were treated and the cliché secret affair between a slave and the master's son or daughter.
Sam Oghae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-oghae.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sam Oghae »

The plot was very realistic. It portrayed the slave trade era well. The author did a good job in that.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”