Can James ever love Lily?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Trusted5236
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trusted5236.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Re: Can James ever love Lily?

Post by Trusted5236 »

No man would for Lily what James did for her without truly loving her. James was ready to give up everything to make sure that Lily got what she deserved
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I think James was more obsessed than in love, but I like happy endings, so I hope he will be able to love her.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I have no doubts that James loved Lilly. He did love her very much. Unfortunately, his actions and inactions toward her were influenced by societal pressure.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I think he loves Lily. But he needs to fight against everything and everyone; he needs to fight against himself sometimes. His heart loves Lily entirely but he needs to reign his mind too. We can think now that if you love someone it is not hard to be with them. But we need to consider the time James is in, the society's rules, and even his own upbringing. It's not easy to break away. I think he will eventually end up with Lily but there needs to be drama before that happens. Great loves stories always have to fight against odds right.
Alexandrian O
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandrian-o.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Alexandrian O »

James can learn to love Lilly but it is unlikely that he will be able to keep a relationship with her, because of the era they are in and the influence society will have on that relationship. James's love throughout the book seems to be temperamental, and while he opens Lilly up to new passions and seems to be good at heart. He will eventually only love her from afar because their relationship is unconventional.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

I doubt that he is able to love Lily truly considering also that she is a slave and the social and economic disparity and inequality which exists between them.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I think he can fully love Lily, but I am sure that he was extremely influenced by the viewpoints of the time period. I feel many of his actions toward her stemmed from an ingrained behavior. Overcoming that could be difficult but possible.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I think James does love Lily. I think it becomes difficult for him because according to society it is not right. It is forbidden. I think that is where most of his struggle and jealousy stems. He can never truly have Lily out in society, but he does not want anyone else to have her either. If their love took place after slavery had been abolished, I think we would have seen James in a different light. Because of the way and era he was raised in, he was taught he was not supposed to have feelings for her. I think he seriously struggled with what was right according to society and what was right according to his heart.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

A love can be as strong as that of James at times, but it can still break under negative pressures. James loved Lily a lot but the choice of them being together was beyond theirs to make.
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

I can feel the pressure James does have. However, against all odds, I know he is deeply in love and can love Lily with all of his heart. Only if society has no eyes to judge and constrain everyone surely, our world will be filled with love.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I think might have a bipolar disorder. He might be having his own demons he was wrestling with and the issue of mental health might be at play. That is the only way I can explain his actions. We love who we love publicly or privately love wins. Maybe he was groomed differently.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Tinski23
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinski23.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Tinski23 »

Though loving someone does not mean you own them as James may be inclined to think, i believe that by virtue of being human, he possesses the ability to truly love Lily.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

In our era a complete change to love is possible. However, I doubt if that could be the case in the slave era. They belong to different castes and it will always reflect in their relationship.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Honestly, I think James loved Lilly, even in his own twisted way. I had mixed feelings about this at the beginning of the book because, I could feel that when he was a little boy, he genuinely loved Lilly. However, in his grown-up age, I wasn't so sure if society had not played a huge role in his affection for her.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 16:38 I think James was more obsessed than in love, but I like happy endings, so I hope he will be able to love her.
I agree with you. James had an obsession with Lilly, so I don't think we can call that love. Though sometimes he showed some genuine signs of loving her.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”