Can James ever love Lily?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Re: Can James ever love Lily?

Post by Pauline Parnell »

James is very much conflicted about his love for Lily. . He sometimes moves with his heart but knows that society sometimes dictates how one behaves. To be an outcast in society will not be good for his image. I do believe that he is trying to balance both sides of the equation.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

He already does, just doesn’t know what to do, and how to express his love. Love has many faces. So much bias, fear and antagonism makes it difficult to make a firm distinction between his feelings and the reality of the sustainability of the relationship. Will he pull through one day. Yes, but he must work hard and give her hope. This is a historical romance novel that shows us how society has an impact on many issues of the time. Even now to a certain extent.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I like the idea of James truly loving Lily and I believe that there technically is the possibility. However, the possibility is so slim that the idea of him really committing to her all the way truly feels like nothing but a distant childhood fairytale. The realistic take on this is that while he may sometimes trick himself into caring for her, he does deep down view her as property that he has a sense of control over. I almost fell for the fairytale possibility of those two being in love until a major plottwist later on that helped wake me up and realize that society plays a massive impact on someone over their true feelings.
Munaluna
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munaluna.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Munaluna »

I believe love conquers all, and I know that James love Lily with all his heart. I believe his love can stand societal pressure.
Jumana Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana Fawmi »

He certainly did love Lilly. Even though at the start of the book he didn't know what to do with his feelings and he had to act brutish at time in order to protect Lilly, he proved his love as well.
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Boohoo31 »

He can love Lily truly, but the society in which they find themselves will always affect their relationship unless he decides to turn his ear and eyes away from them.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I think James can love Lily but his definition of love has been impacted by the society and slave code, so to us that may not be considered as true love. But I do believe he can truly love Lily
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

It will be kind of hard for James to completely love Lily. Society and its system makes it not realistic for James to love Lily
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

I don’t think James treats her as his property out of an absence of love, rather, an aggressive, misled version of love. I’m not saying he always shows his love the right way, but he never stops loving her.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Yes, I think James is capable of loving Lily but he doesn't really have a mind of his own and can be easily influenced by society.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

They will love one another James, who adores Lily is just under oppression from his parents.
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by jemimapaul »

I think James can love Lilly because true love defeats all color and slave barriers. He can definitely take on the challenges that will come with his and Lily's relationship.
Vangi Hlongwane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vangi Hlongwane »

I feel like James would never love her fully if he still treats her like she's his property.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

James loves Lilly without a doubt. But he seems to be the kind of person who uses logic rather than be driven by emotion. He cares about his father and does what he can to protect and shield him. He is scared for both of them, since expressing his love openly may be dangerous considering the times they were living in. I loved this book so much.
Larnie_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Larnie_12 »

James can truly love Lily if and only if he chooses to overlook and overcome the subjections of the society. That is the only thing that prevents him from displaying his love fully.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”