The prodigy slave

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Enamoney
Currently Reading: Gilded Prisons
Bookshelf Size: 14

The prodigy slave

Post by Enamoney »

For what reason is Lily strongly torn from her mom's arms and sold at a Negro closeout by her lord :roll:
Best 817ch
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Mary Magdalene
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-best-817ch.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Best 817ch »

The author only tries to make her seem a lot stronger than as someone who was actually in her position.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Maybe she was worth more as she is young since that was the order at the time.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

That's how the slave trade went. Children of slaves were not seen as slaves but as an extension of their masters' properties to be traded with. Really heartbreaking when you think about it
Phyll Kamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyll-kamau.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Phyll Kamau »

Lily was torn from her mother's arms because, at the time, children of enslaved people were considered the master.s property. As they grew older, the children were either subjected to slavery by the master or sold to other masters as enslaved people.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Besides that's what they did back then since children of slaves were also the owner's property, I had several thoughts. I wondered if there was talk of him treating Lily's mom better than the other slaves, or perhaps Lily. Or maybe because he didn't want to be reminded of having a child with her mom. Or lastly, perhaps since his wife seemed to hold more grudges again Lily's mom than any of the other women slaves, perhaps he thought he had better get rid of Lily from his "property" and he knew he could get good money for her. Perhaps I'm reading more into it, but those thoughts did cross my mind as I was reading it.
Julius Nwohiri
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-nwohiri.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Julius Nwohiri »

Aside from the fact that she was a slave's daughter (by extension a slave), the master may have received Intel on her secret romance with his son.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Lily was taking from her mother cause as a young slave, the master could groom her into whatever he pleases and she’ll just think that’s normal as she hasn’t really known any other life.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I think that inciting incident will put readers on Lily's side throughout the series. It also shows the cruel nature of slavery. Not only was he her master but also her illegitimate father will strike readers deeply. Since this was historical fiction it had to show the cruel side of slavery; what was better than separating a young girl from her mother for money without any remorse. It also would have been impossible to create scenes between James and Lily if her mother was in the picture.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Honestly, I just think her Lord was a greedy man, always looking for opportunities for money. So, him selling Lilly was just another ploy for money, seeing as he had no pity for her young age.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Personally, I think his wife had something to do with why Lily was sold. It was par for the time though. Children were more valuable at slave trades because they had more life to live. Slave traders would take them to auction young to fetch the best prices. People bought them at higher prices because they could work them longer. Therefore, it was a worthy investment in because of the return.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

I do as well have an assumption that because children of captives were considered the master's property at the time, Lily was wrenched from her mother's arms. It was indeed horrifying but I think it has been the most viable option. Awful!
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

It shows how the master of the slave viewed the mother of Lily., nothing to be proud of. Or a problem that needed to go away. A constant reminder of his mistake that he wanted to erase from his life. Maybe, I didn't feel good about the way he handled it. It was rude, shocking and barbaric.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

fashionista_rose wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 12:24 It shows how the master of the slave viewed the mother of Lily., nothing to be proud of. Or a problem that needed to go away. A constant reminder of his mistake that he wanted to erase from his life. Maybe, I didn't feel good about the way he handled it. It was rude, shocking and barbaric.
I agree with you on this one. Though it broke my heart when Lily's mother had thought that things would be different with her daughter, only to find out in the end that it's not the case.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

I was heartbroken when Lily was sold as if she was a thing, not a human being, that was cold.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”