The maps

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Re: The maps

Post by Emily_Jen »

The maps were undeniably important. They were very significant in my understanding of the positions of different places relative to each other, and I believe that was the reason for their inclusion.
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

Emily_Jen wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 08:43 The maps were undeniably important. They were very significant in my understanding of the positions of different places relative to each other, and I believe that was the reason for their inclusion.
I have maps in the first two books in the series, too, one of the Northern Pacific and the other the Olympic Peninsula, so there are maps in all the three books, but more in Totem. To me, maps are incredibly important, and especially so when you have a series that includes hiking, which of itself requires knowledge of maps. As a kid I loved illustrated books, of course, which is why Totem even has a couple drawings in it, and maps, because, for me, maps are a tool to excite the mind and imagination, picturing what is presented, imagining the hills, the valleys, the country. Plus by adding maps in some ways I reduce the need in the writing to be so descriptive, leaving it to the reader to go to the maps for more detail if they wish. Plus, and I have heard this from readers, if these simple maps then draw readers to finding REAL maps of the country, USGS topo maps, all the better.....
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think that the maps at the beginning of the book have a huge importance in terms of the geography of the book. This book needs to be geographically clear so that we as readers could better understand it.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

Just like many other books with maps in them, I really appreciated the inclusion of the maps in this one too. The maps are very helpful. They help make it easy to relate to the places mentioned in the book. It makes the book seem like an adventure. It helps take you along with the story.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

The maps at the beginning of the book , i consider was a very important tool for the readers to better enjoy their reading experience .
It helped a lot in knowing which character goes where and to connect places mentioned in the book.
:tiphat:
Barbara Willeford
Currently Reading: Contagion Domination
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Barbara Willeford »

The maps are an important part of setting the visual part of the story. At the beginning it helps show you where their journey is starting. Then as you read the book. You can visually see them traveling along the map and get an idea of what they were going through. It helped me see where they were going how far it was. I was able to back and understand parts of Bear Valley.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The maps make clear the setting of the story. We are able to visualize the places that are talked about in the book by looking at the maps. It also made the book more interesting to read.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Having the map on the first page of the book is significant because it makes the reader know the locations and directions in the book. This will aid in understanding imaginatively places that will be encountered in the book.
Bezos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bezos.html
Latest Review: A Kitchen Painted in Blood by Stephen Ahern

Post by Bezos »

The relevance of the map on the first page of Totem, in my opinion, is to provide a geographical overview of the book. It tells the reader where we can anticipate the characters to go and how far they will travel. It displayed historical and geographically related points.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I believe the map clarifies the setting of the story to the readers so the connections of the geographical locations can aid the reader find the book intriguing.
pudding047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pudding047.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by pudding047 »

The maps aid imagination and make it simple for the readers to understand and navigate through the geographical content in the book. The locations also relate to the historical theme of the book.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

The maps are to be interpreted by a skillful and intelligent person as they give directions to various geographical locations. The maps being on the first pages gives readers an impression of its use, during the story, in different journeys which would be taken.
Njabulo M 4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Njabulo M 4 »

Maps in generally have alot of functions etc. It's very significant for maps to make surity that the
don't let people get lost. of a map). So simply the importance of a map in the books is for the explorer/reader to get the proper geographical direction they'd specifically know where and what?
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I like visualizing the place where the plot is set. It gives the book some measure of legitimacy and believability. I don't usually need a map though. My imaginations are running anyways. Still, I always appreciate a world map of the book.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

For me, the presence of a map drastically changes my perspective of a book. They can genuinely take the book to a new level by allowing readers to visualize where the story is set. I tend to have issues with imagining areas the characters go to, and so I find maps to be extremely helpful.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”