The killer and whale story at the very beginning

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Re: The killer and whale story at the very beginning

Post by Buk Nerd »

Charlie Sheldon wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 22:39 I wrote the books to be stand alone tales, and have had enough readers start with, say Adrift or Totem, and then they go back to read the first two, usually. Of course, it is best to read the books in order to fully experience how the characters and events start and grow, and how the books are linked, separate but telling one grand story. When I started writing the first one, Strong Heart, in 2013, I had no idea or sense this might be a series. None. A series, at least to me, is both good and terrible - good because you can play with many characters and complex story lines, but terrible because you are then trapped in the series, and must decide how to finish, how many books to write. When I started writing Strong Heart I used the story frame Conrad uses in Heart of Darkness - he had a group of men meet at a pilot boat and then while waiting for the tide to turn to go out to the ship one of the people, I think it was Marlowe, told the story of Kurtz and the Heart of Darkness. I love that sort of frame, stories in stories, so in my initial draft I had a lifeboat crashing ashore up on Haida Gwaii off British Columbia and the trapped sailors, in winter, marooned, unable to cross the mountains to the one known settlement far away until the weather broke,. forced to hunker down in shelter. The mate asks one of the characters, William, who is a sailor from the ship the lifeboat came from, and who was born on Haida Gwaii years before before being sent away to a government school to become like a white man, then running away to the states, to tell the others a story to keep them sane. That was my frame, but when I finished the book the tale seemed too long and so I simplified it, removed the frame and just told the story William told as a tale itself, Strong Heart. But I had all these chapters about this lifeboat and sailors and storms and after finishing Strong Heart thought, well, what about this lifeboat? Where did it come from? What happened to the ship? What happened to the other sailors? So that was when the series began, as I built those chapters into Adrift, which became the second story, happening about four or five months after the first. The third tale, Totem, is really two books in one, and I debated long about how long to make the series, and in the end decided I wanted a trilogy, something long, one grand tale, but not endless, and hope the readers will agree. In the end of course, all that is important is that the reader, in the best case, fall into the book, be there, in it, whatever order the tales are read.
I am yet to read the previous books in the series and I am just about to start reading Totem. Glad to know it can be enjoyed as a standalone tale. I look forward to reading about Myra's story.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Charlie Sheldon wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 10:10 The story Myra tells Sarah at the very start of Totem is taken from the first book in the series, Strong Heart, which takes place the summer before Totem begins. What does this story reveal about the series?
I think what that actually signifies is the underlying theme of the novel. That Sarah, the protagonist, cannot accomplish much without teamwork. The killer whale couldn't win simply because it's victims received aid from their counterparts.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Charlie Sheldon wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 22:39 . . . That was my frame, but when I finished the book the tale seemed too long and so I simplified it, removed the frame and just told the story William told as a tale itself, Strong Heart. But I had all these chapters about this lifeboat and sailors and storms and after finishing Strong Heart thought, well, what about this lifeboat? Where did it come from? What happened to the ship? What happened to the other sailors? So that was when the series began, as I built those chapters into Adrift, which became the second story, happening about four or five months after the first. The third tale, Totem, is really two books in one, and I debated long about how long to make the series, and in the end decided I wanted a trilogy, something long, one grand tale, but not endless, and hope the readers will agree. In the end of course, all that is important is that the reader, in the best case, fall into the book, be there, in it, whatever order the tales are read.
For me, the story that is told, the characters involved, and the setting and environment are of course very important dimensions. But also I very much love to hear about the author's writing process and what influenced it. I appreciate what the author shares here about his ongoing creative process, how it leads to more questions to be answered, and how the trilogy will be best received by readers. I also enjoyed the short video Mr. Sheldon made about the book. These things enrich a good book for me.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

Charlie Sheldon wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 22:39 I wrote the books to be stand alone tales, and have had enough readers start with, say Adrift or Totem, and then they go back to read the first two, usually. Of course, it is best to read the books in order to fully experience how the characters and events start and grow, and how the books are linked, separate but telling one grand story. When I started writing the first one, Strong Heart, in 2013, I had no idea or sense this might be a series. None. A series, at least to me, is both good and terrible - good because you can play with many characters and complex story lines, but terrible because you are then trapped in the series, and must decide how to finish, how many books to write. When I started writing Strong Heart I used the story frame Conrad uses in Heart of Darkness - he had a group of men meet at a pilot boat and then while waiting for the tide to turn to go out to the ship one of the people, I think it was Marlowe, told the story of Kurtz and the Heart of Darkness. I love that sort of frame, stories in stories, so in my initial draft I had a lifeboat crashing ashore up on Haida Gwaii off British Columbia and the trapped sailors, in winter, marooned, unable to cross the mountains to the one known settlement far away until the weather broke,. forced to hunker down in shelter. The mate asks one of the characters, William, who is a sailor from the ship the lifeboat came from, and who was born on Haida Gwaii years before before being sent away to a government school to become like a white man, then running away to the states, to tell the others a story to keep them sane. That was my frame, but when I finished the book the tale seemed too long and so I simplified it, removed the frame and just told the story William told as a tale itself, Strong Heart. But I had all these chapters about this lifeboat and sailors and storms and after finishing Strong Heart thought, well, what about this lifeboat? Where did it come from? What happened to the ship? What happened to the other sailors? So that was when the series began, as I built those chapters into Adrift, which became the second story, happening about four or five months after the first. The third tale, Totem, is really two books in one, and I debated long about how long to make the series, and in the end decided I wanted a trilogy, something long, one grand tale, but not endless, and hope the readers will agree. In the end of course, all that is important is that the reader, in the best case, fall into the book, be there, in it, whatever order the tales are read.
I started with Totem, but now I had to go back to see if I would understand better. In my opinion, it's better to read them in order. But anyone who wants to read them as stand alone stories would not be lost too.
Ella Oyieko
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella-oyieko.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ella Oyieko »

I have not gotten the connection, but am thirsting for the whole story on the killer whale.Looking forward to the other books so that I can get that connection.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

I had no idea that the story was even taken from the previous book in the series. However, i find this to be a nice touch. It shows a level of continuity in the author's work and that is how good author's write. I am impressed even more after discovering this fact.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

You write so brilliantly and it is good to tap into your wisdom as we need more of this... You write, and your fans will turn it into a bestseller. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories. You are just so disciplined, gifted, and committed to what you love doing, writing and storytelling. I want to congratulate you on your achievements and look forward to more of your books. Good job!
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html

Post by Amenrodion »

I think it highlights the very essence of mythology as an integral and beautiful part of cultures, and by implication 9f understanding one's own role n purpose
Timothee22
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

I haven't read the previous series yet. I'm confused. Should I read that first before I finished this or carry on?
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

If you want to go through the series in the full sweep of the events, start with Strong Heart then read Adrift, then Totem, last, but you can also read Totem and then if you like go back to the earlier tales....
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I haven't read the other books so I am not quite sure what the story represents. It's probably has something to do with the ancestors' beginning but I am not really into it, to be honest.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html

Post by Amenrodion »

Honestly, I read Totem as a standalone book but it's great that the killer and whale story can have a link to the first book and still be easily interwoven into Totem and effortlessly blend in as a standalone book
ericaball
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericamartabee.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by ericaball »

Janelydia Mwangi wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 07:18 Myra uses mythology to retell their people's origin through the bear which caught fish and fought over the same with the female killer whale but they reconciled fell in love married and bore children who were neither of the parents. This reveals that they are a tribe that originated from war and marriage across tribes. When Sarah explains about her vision of the bear she is told that it could have been her gift meaning perhaps her destiny.
I would argue that this story lays out a couple of important teachings. One is that the stories we tell of our own past have a huge impact on our present behavior. Another is that the only true way forward is in bringing together opposites. Unification rather than division.
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I believe it gives the story an ethereal feeling. Going in the reader comes to expect some sort of fantastical element. In this case, it is in the form of extinct creatures and older memories from long ago. It feels akin to a whisper of more to come.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

:x
Suekihleng wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 21:29 I'm just getting started with Strong Heart so I haven't started Totem yet. Do you think it's necessary to read this series in order? Would it matter if I read Totem first?

No. I think it's not necessary to read the series in order. It's stand alone but to me reading them in order is better, it will give you more indepth understanding of what the story entails.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”