The dream/vision sequences

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Re: The dream/vision sequences

Post by Patty Allread »

The 'earlier-time accounts' are more than just ancestral memories. They seem to be total recollections that include all the sensory and other perceptions. For me, the idea of time travel doesn't fit here. The perception of time and place is itself part of the recall. As an example, one could recall their breakfast time earlier in the day. The recall could include sights, smells, sounds, etc. but also the position of the sun, the temperature inside and out, time of day, time of year, all bodily sensations, the position you were in, and positions of other people, and on and on. The recall could be extremely complete. Sarah's ability to recall her ancestral history is extraordinary and far beyond what most of us can achieve, but it isn't 100% magical. It is a spiritual ability in my opinion.
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

Patty Allread wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 10:45 The 'earlier-time accounts' are more than just ancestral memories. They seem to be total recollections that include all the sensory and other perceptions. For me, the idea of time travel doesn't fit here. The perception of time and place is itself part of the recall. As an example, one could recall their breakfast time earlier in the day. The recall could include sights, smells, sounds, etc. but also the position of the sun, the temperature inside and out, time of day, time of year, all bodily sensations, the position you were in, and positions of other people, and on and on. The recall could be extremely complete. Sarah's ability to recall her ancestral history is extraordinary and far beyond what most of us can achieve, but it isn't 100% magical. It is a spiritual ability in my opinion.
This is just a great comment and exactly what I was trying to suggest when I wrote these stories. I was deliberately vague about whether these stories are actual time travel (and there is evidence to support that, for example being found with unexplained healed injuries) or whether they might be ancestral memory (under the view that "junk" dna might well hold memories as well as previous earlier physical forms), or whether just a well developed imagination. It is fascinating to me how different readers will choose which explanation they prefer, and I know there is a proportion of readers who simply cannot go there at all, an probably put the books down. It all depends on willingness to believe it MIGHT be possible, and then going with that.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

The vision sequences were a combination of both time travel as well as ancestral memory.
RajvirxSandhu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajvirxsandhu.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by RajvirxSandhu »

I believe it is a bit of everything combined. Through vision and dreams she is able to see what is needed and through ancestral memories she know how to do it. However the fact that she able to communicate and change parts of the past means time travel as otherwise it didn’t seem to make sense if it was a vision or dream/memory.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

I sincerely cannot tell now. I just need to finish the series. Seems one really need to start from the first series, Strong Heart, and then read on to fully understand how the stories are connected and situated.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

Well, I can also assert that both are possible for the reason that Sarah may be using her ancestral memory to travel the past and the future. This course of events prompted her to visit what she was in the past and have possess the capacity to connect with almost everything. Honestly, this idea was one of the things that I love from this book.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

At some points, the character interacted with the ancestors as though they were real which I find myself conflicted on whether to classify as visions or time travel.
Ironside Ms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ironside-ms.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ironside Ms »

I think the point is to build a connection between the particular character and his ancestors. They live in different times and era, hence, sharing and comparing experiences is not totally out of it
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I would say they were ancestral memories, but the fact that the character is conscious during these episodes makes an argument for time travel as well.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I'm still a bit perplexed but I choose ancestral memories because it is the best way to explain the connection between the characters and the ancestors.
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

To my knowledge, I think the sequence is both ancestral and time travel. The characters could relate to their ancestors and understand them.
Blucabana
Currently Reading: The girl that loved carravalagio
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blucabana.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Blucabana »

I think the sequence is a combination of time travel and ancestral memory. The story expresses a deep connection between the characters and their ancestors through ancestral memory. However, the fact that there is interaction with the ancestors indicated time travel.
Blossy20
Currently Reading: Understanding the business of health care
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossy20.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Blossy20 »

I believe that time travel is the technique used in the dream/vision sequences. This is my opinion because Sarah is able to interact with her ancestors.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I think it was meant to be both. Wouldn't you need to travel back in time in order to interact with your ancestors? If it was just the memories, how could Sarah be inserted into them? But if she used time travel to go back to the time of her ancestors, that seems to make more sense to me.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

This part of the book is the most appealing part of the book for me. I would say its ancestral memories because it fits the rest of the book better especially with the Native American theme and the clear connection with past ancestors. I wish more stories like these are shared in the future.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”