Favorite Quote in the Book

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Re: Favorite Quote in the Book

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

“Passion knows no boundaries,” said Mick.
The characters in the story may have different intentions. But they have equally strong passions to pursue them. This quote is a timely reminder that passion ignites resilience and resourcefulness during difficult times.
Christabel18+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel18.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Christabel18+ »

I was stunned when Sarah was asked to find better ways around conflicts and she said " why? I win my fights. I don't pick fights, but I don't back down. I really felt that and I know I'm not the only reader that noticed the bravery that came with that .
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

There are a lot of quotes in the book but the one that stuck to me was "There is no death. Only a change of worlds". I felt the weight of the meaning it carried
Kelsey Copeland
Currently Reading: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-copeland.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Kelsey Copeland »

ericamartabee wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 16:17 "The wind roared through the trees, but I heard, or felt, a terrible kind of silence."

The sentence itself sounds like what it is describing. The soft rolls of the first part,turning into the abruptness of "terrible kind". It seems like a contradiction to be able to sense both at once but it isn't.
I love descriptions like this. When sentences are constructed in a contradictory way like this, it sticks with me more, and then I carry it for longer. And if I carry it longer, I’m more likely to look for similar instances and details in the world around me.

I’ve found that, oftentimes, moments are simply what your perspective makes them into. And being able to look for a sense of silence in a sound made by the wind makes it seem like I can put magic into normal moments.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 15:12
Inge van Tonder wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 12:20 My favorite quote is when Victoria speaks to her father. “Find solutions through partnerships, Dad. You taught me, remember?” That hits home. Solve your problem the right way.
I like the quote you picked, usually one learns this lesson after much experience. Interesting also the the daughter said it back to yer father.
It's funny how often children teach their parents things that their parents initially taught them.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Peace Chux wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 21:37 When Travis said "The woman chooses in this world too" It came up in a conversation with Sergei about Myra but it meant so much more to me.
I agree with the power of this quote.

Gender equality is everything.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

fashionista_rose wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 08:21 When Sarah was asked to learn how to handle conflicts without fighting, she replied:
"Why? I win my fights. I don't pick fights, but I don't back down. " It shows boldness, confidence, and determination to always win. It could be linked to the challenges of life. We don't pick our challenges but wouldn't back down until they are sorted. We wouldn't back down. 
I like this idea of not looking for trouble but not hiding from any trouble that should arrive.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Folushour wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 10:14
fashionista_rose wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 08:21 When Sarah was asked to learn how to handle conflicts without fighting, she replied:
"Why? I win my fights. I don't pick fights, but I don't back down. " It shows boldness, confidence, and determination to always win. It could be linked to the challenges of life. We don't pick our challenges but wouldn't back down until they are sorted. We wouldn't back down. 
Winning fights and handing conflicts are two different things though. Fighting might take more energy and be more catastrophic. Ego would push one to fight, but wanting love and peace more than wanting to prove oneself would motivate one to avoid it if possible.
It's true that making amends can take just as much strength (if not more) than standing one's ground.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I just had to be, "I don't pick fights but I don't back down". I even had to post it on my status. Great line
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

"Why? I win my fights. I don't pick fights, but I don't back down." This simple sentence tells me all I need to know about Sarah and puts me firmly in her corner, pining for her, because her character resonates with who I am.
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by jemimapaul »

The first thing I liked about the book was the quote “There is no death. Only a change of worlds.” - Chief Seattle
This quote is perfect for the start of the book since Sarah and her friends have visions of the past and these revelations affect their future.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

When Junior says,
Every time a story is told, the tracks grow larger, the animal fiercer.
He was obviously talking about the rumors of black bear sightings, which grew more fanciful with each retelling in his opinion. However, I found this to be true of stories dispersed through the grapevine. Each time a rumor is spread, more information is miraculously added to it until the final story is a grotesque caricature of the actual events.
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jemimapaul »

Totem is "A natural object or an animate being, as an animal or bird, assumed as the emblem of a clan, family or group, often serving as a reminder of its ancestry."
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jemimapaul »

I like Myra's words to Sarah: "The great bear you saw the other day, Sarah, might be your totem animal. Perhaps the bear is your gift.”
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by jemimapaul »

I also like the author's tribute to his wife: "For Randa Williams, my wife, a warrior, a voyager, a believer. Her unflagging support throughout the 12 years these tales have demanded my attention and time has been a miracle and a blessing. Whatever is true in the pages herein is due to her, not me, just as whatever it is in Sarah that is heroic and real is hers, not mine."

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”