Ask the author...

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ask the author...

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

Ikechukwu+12345 wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 04:17 How did you set up your characters? How did you manage the consistency from the first part to that third part? Is this story exactly ur own life story? Who gave you this perfect plot of presentation?
I am not sure how the characters arrive, but they do. I am not sure how much control I have. If you are asking about consistency among the three books - the first part to that third part - I just kept telling the story, over several years. This story is not at all my own life story, but of course greatly influenced by experiences I have had. I am not sure what you mean by "perfect plot of presentation" but I will say that depending on the story one tries to tell you need to decide on the frame and how many points of view to use. If the story involves several separate story lines all sort of coming together then you need a point of view for each story line, or some kind of flashbacks and someone telling someone else's story. For example if your story is in the first person ("I") then it is very hard to have any separate plot threads. My choice for especially the last two books was to use many points of view, with each chapter devoted to a certain character, but having the chapters mainly sequential as to time, so I am telling one story or several stories along a consistent time line. Of course I also use a journal in Totem for an earlier story and the vision or dream or time travel sequences for Sarah, William, Henry David Olsen, and Laurie. The main challenge, to make a multi-character and point of view tale work, is to somehow have each character have their own individual personal challenge or crisis within the larger story line, in a way to capture thwe reader's interest. For example, Sarah is desperately seeking her own home, a place she belongs; Carl is trying to resolve a bitter career accusation from years earlier; Jared fears he will always be a second-rate, not "cool" unathletic kid; Victoria is trying to make her career with showing how mining can be done properly but at the same time she is having a marriage crisis.....Point being, hopefully each point of view iks vital and real with their own issues, such that thew reader wants to see what happens. If you have a character there just to move the story along, the story falls flat, and you lose the reader. Readers are smart.
Andrew Malenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-malenya.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Andrew Malenya »

Totem was my first book to read in the series and I really enjoyed it. Are there any intended lessons you specifically want readers to learn from your book? What are some of the few?
Charlie Sheldon

Andrew Malenya wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 22:52 Totem was my first book to read in the series and I really enjoyed it. Are there any intended lessons you specifically want readers to learn from your book? What are some of the few?
Glad you liked the story. What lessons did you learn, if any?
Good Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-good-writer.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Good Writer »

What was your mood while writing?
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

Charlie Sheldon wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 10:39
chege wangui wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 00:20 Did you anticipate this kind of reception of your book? Did you get satisfied with the end result?
It is very nice that readers enjoy the book and give nice reviews, but nicer still when readers wander into ideas and areas presented, especially when considering the character's challenges. It was as good as I could make it, meaning, it's at the limit of my expertise and I cannot make any improvements. The biggest issue these days is to be noticed, be seen, because there are so many books out there, so many writers, and then you hope for word of mouth to expand readership, but in the end each reader, individually, either falls into the story or not.
Wonderful! You are right. I can only hope and wish you all the best!
Charlie Sheldon

Good Writer wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 02:48 What was your mood while writing?
My mood while writing....when actually writing, that is, putting words down on paper or a keyboard, I would say my mood is purposeful, in focus. I try to see what I write, or, better yet, properly describe the events as I see them unfold....actually when in that space, whatever you call it, that place where you are creating the story, or watching it happen, it is as if time stops, and you are just....there, with it, making it happen but watching it happen, too.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

How familiar were you with the culture and beliefs of the characters in your story before you began writing. What amount of research did you do, and could it be that you wrote the book partly because of how interesting you found Native culture to be.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

First off, I'd love to know the source of your creativity, how you stay so focused throughout the book and I'd love to know why the animal was chosen as part of the culture.
Charlie Sheldon

Wy_Bertram wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 03:45 How familiar were you with the culture and beliefs of the characters in your story before you began writing. What amount of research did you do, and could it be that you wrote the book partly because of how interesting you found Native culture to be.
I had this general idea for a book about the Olympics and ancient history, and then I learned some history from working with local tribes for 20 years on treaty fishing conflict mitigation, and all that time I hiked in the Olympics. I did not write the book because I found Native history and culture interesting, but it is of course very interesting. I did three years of research before writing a word.
Charlie Sheldon

KASITHEREADER wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 15:38 First off, I'd love to know the source of your creativity, how you stay so focused throughout the book and I'd love to know why the animal was chosen as part of the culture.
I think if you go back through earlier questions and answers in this forum all your questions will be answered.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

What inspired you to name Sarah Cooley's grandfather Tom-tom
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Charlie Sheldon

smoothcrowd wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 11:44 What inspired you to name Sarah Cooley's grandfather Tom-tom
I have no idea......
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Why the title, how did you come up with the title. What would you retitle it to if given the opportunity?
Mariam Goderdzievna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-goderdzievna.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mariam Goderdzievna »

Did the issue of gender equality have a significant impact on you when you worked on this book?
Gehm
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gehm.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Gehm »

Did you feel you were under pressure or were not giving out the best of your creativity for the book?

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”