The maps

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: The maps

Post by jemimapaul »

The last picture of the map is zoomed to show the exact place where Sarah fell, right of the cliff.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

The maps helped me imagine the narrative alot better, they were an amazing visual aid. Loads of books have maps in the beginning, like Harry Potter, and they're always helpful.
Amelia-Lily
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

I absolutely love maps, and I found this map very useful also. It helps me complete the pictures I paint in my mind. It's just superb to say the least. Please keep it up with the maps.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

The map is important and plays a significant role in helping a reader, me included understand the settings more. Moreover, I kept going back from time to time to check places in the map. It gave me a sense of direction on where each scene happened.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I love when a book has maps. I believe that their purpose is to give us visual support especially when the book has numerous spots that are mentioned, so you don't lose track of what you learn.
owobanji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owobanji.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by owobanji »

Maps are nice in books when they are properly done. I mean, when everything is drawn in a way that is not too confusing. It does help to carry people along. I was fine with the map here too. Great job from the author overall.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

The Author was very wise in placing maps at the beginning of the book. They not only aided in giving clarity to where the characters were, but also kept the reader focused on various locations throughout the story. The maps helped to show the US and Canada, Asia and many other necessary locations, that made the reading more enjoyable as we referenced these maps during our reading.
Excellent idea to include them.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

The significance of the map was to assist the readers to understand where the main character currently was and was headed to. Without it, I would have been horribly confused.
abbyvanana1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyvanana1997.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by abbyvanana1997 »

As what precisely a map means in our lives, it has been used in a similar context. Associating it in this story is more like a guide for us readers to track the setting of the book. The author made a more innovative approach to depict the places where Sarah and the whole casts tend to go.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Yes, the map was very important in the book. A map gives us a sense of direction and place whether when reading or not. The characters went to several places in the book, and the map helped pinpoint the directions and the distances.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

The map is simply to help the reader have a visual representation of the geographical spaces that are integral to the book.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The map at the first page of the book is significant in that it gives the setting of the book's plot. If readers can feel that the fictional locations in a book are made realistic especially with a map that connect on point to another, they much more aware and involved in the story. And all add up to the book's originality and enjoyability.
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by nwanasebuka »

The sceneries change as the events go, therefore a map can provide direction or location in this situation. We see Sarah practicing what she has learned about the culture after Myra chats to her about her vision of the bear. Elk's soul is relieved by her. As a result, the map depicts the shifts in themes and locations as well as the shifting limits of the past. The history of the themes goes hand in hand with understanding the arrangement of areas before the creation of civilization. 
Ratii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ratii.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Ratii »

In this case, a map can provide direction or location, but the scenes change as the events unfold. At one point, Myra tells Sarah about her vision of the bear, and we later see Sarah applying what she has learned about the culture. She appeases the Elk's spirit. As a result, the map informs of changes in themes and places past boundaries that have changed over time. The themes, which include history, go hand in hand in understanding the layout of places prior to the development of society.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think the maps were crucially important to the development of the plot as it made the story less abstract. It was hard to keep up with all the places mentioned in the adventure, so it was thoughtful of the author to include the maps.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”