The maps

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Sola Gracia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sola-gracia.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

The maps

Post by Sola Gracia »

Can we discuss the maps on the first pages of the book? What is their significance to be there? What is their relation with the book's overall theme?
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

A map can give direction or location in this case the scenes change as the events progress. At one point Myra talks to Sarah about her vision of the bear we then meet Sarah practising what she had learnt about the culture.she relieves the spirit of the Elk.The map therefore inform of the changes in themes and places the past boundaries that have changed with time. The themes also being the history go hand in hand to understand the layout of places before the development of the society.
E-R-H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-r-h.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by E-R-H »

The significance of the maps on the first pages of the book is so that we, as the audience, are clear about the setting of the story. Personally, I tend to make up worlds/environments when I'm unsure about a book's setting. I'm inclined to believe that most readers fall under that category, since reading can provide a brief escape from reality and what better way to escape reality than through the imagination. But as far as the maps' relation to the overall theme of Strong Heart, the concept of connection is a huge deal in the story. Connection from a historical standpoint and connection from a relational standpoint. Maps exist as physical representations of where we stand in the world around us and of the geographical gaps that stand between us and someone else. I guess you could say that a map facilitates connection in many forms, and therefore, the maps at the beginning of the book relate directly to its overall theme.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I feel the significance of the map in the first page of Totem is to give a geographical summary of the book. It explains to the reader the places we would expect the characters to go and the approximate distance. It showed historical and relational geographic points.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

The significance of a map is to prevent a person from getting lost.
So the importance of the map in the book is for the reader to get a geographical direction of the places in the book, though it will take an intelligent person to read a map but it’s still quite helpful.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I believe maps are there to help us get a geographical setting, as an aid to locating yourself in some places and a get mental image. I like having maps on my books.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

The significant of the map is so that readers will have a clear understanding of the places and location mentioned in the book. Although am not good in maps, the author did a good job in adding a map at the beginning of the story to help readers understand the geographical setting of the book.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

The maps are a visual aid and part of the story. They guide on the exact location the story and characters head to and also act as a reference for the readers. For the visual readers and those who love to read/interpret maps, it gives a break from the story and creates an actual mental picture of how or where the story unfolds. Granted, some may view the maps as challenging to interpret or a distraction, but overall, to me they also atell the journey.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I think that the author includes maps to clear all geographically situations. Maps help the reader to better visualize the situation and condition that can significantly increase the reading experience. Or the author includes maps just to make the book seem more authentic.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

The map gives clarity to the setting of the story. I didn't have to make up the location in my head while reading. It helps to guide when there is a switch in location. Since location relates to the book's theme, it also helps interpret the theme correctly.
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

I usually love stories with maps, this is because maps are visual aids. They help the reader to properly visualize what they are reading, thereby making the whole reading process more enjoyable.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I liked the idea of drawing the maps at the beginning as they allow you to know the geographical locations mentioned in the book, so it makes the book more enjoyable when you can visualise the different places mentioned there.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Macharia Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macharia-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Macharia Kariuki »

geographical locations are well illustrated and explained using maps. Maps aid greatly also to a reader as it makes a book more interesting in breaking the monotony of continued reading.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I am typically overjoyed when a novel includes a map. This book was no exception. For me, as someone unfamiliar with the northwestern U.S. and southwestern Canada, the map provided a sense of place, a sense of being planted in a real location by which I could follow along with the activities of the adventurers. The maps made them seem like real people, not fictional characters in a novel. But the map showing the overall relation of North America to Asia across a brief expanse of water certainly helps to hold up the speculation that the continent was perhaps populated from the west. I found myself going back and forth between the text and the maps to root myself in the characters' footsteps as their way to Bear Valley and its environs.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

The maps were absolutely necessary. There were so many places mentioned in the adventure. I had to personally go back to the maps to make sense of some places in the book. I could also make a connection between places, alongside making distictions.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”