Victoria being an environmentalist as well as a business person realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
CreatedbyGob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-createdbygob.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Victoria being an environmentalist as well as a business person realistic?

Post by CreatedbyGob »

I think its honestly a grey area for the character, to be environmentally conscious and run a big business that revolves around mining is just a hard thing to balance.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

It is possible that Victoria can be both but there would be many instances where she would be tempted to choose her business over the environment. But the choice lies with her. So if she resists the temptation Victoria will be successful at being an environmentalist as well as a business person if she will still be able to run things smoothly.
Solstice2005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solstice2005.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Solstice2005 »

This idea is an example of there being more to something than meets the eye, it's not one or the either. Though eco-friendly mining practices are relatively unheard of at this time, the writer has possibly included this crucial detail to show the two sides to the character. There is always the possibility of her love for the environment playing a large role in changing the future of mining and protecting nature.
Kenneth Chimezie
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kenneth Chimezie »

To me It is not possible to mine without disturbing the environment. However they are mitigative agents or methods that can be employed to reduce it's impact on the environment.
Chinwe Favour
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinwe-favour.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Chinwe Favour »

To me nothing is impossible. If she is committed to preserving the environment then she can handle her mining in a way that it would not disturb the environment. As a good business person she could balance the two.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

I actually think that this aspect is a really interesting thing to bring into Victoria's character, because it does give us an immediate sense of contradiction. This gives us even more of an insight into who she is; she's dedicated to her work, but she also strongly believes in a better future for the environment. I think that she could safely blend the two.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by nwanasebuka »

Victoria is a determined and aggressive character. I believe that, despite her interest in mining, she can use her skills to engage in environmentally friendly activities. Deception, on the other hand, is a component of human nature and may be utilized to manipulate the human heart. As a result, it's a difficult question to answer.
Rachel Monica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-monica.html
Latest Review: The End of May by Kem Richards

Post by Rachel Monica »

I do not understand why Victoria worked for such a company as mining and eco friendly practices can never go together. I like her as an individual but in business it makes me question her intentions and my general opinion of her.
Laww
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laww.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laww »

Combining environmental conservation measures while still mining would be a tough decision for Victoria to make. To create a balance would mean she employs a tough strategy which may captivate the reader.
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

I think that one must understand the ups and downs to using certain materials. Knowing that you need to replace trees that you cut down. Mining is not a horrible thing, as long as we strive to move away from materials that will run out.
Almira789
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almira789.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Almira789 »

I can’t entirely agree as well. Mining is indeed a destructive course of events that will put our environment in many of its adverse effects. As an environmentalist, it should not be the goal to destroy our biosphere for monetary gains.
Katib Mahmood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katib-mahmood.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Katib Mahmood »

I think it is quite relatable she must have an INFJ personality as it is not that unrealistic as INFJ are rare themselves.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I believe that one can be an environmentalist and be a decision-maker in a for-profit business at the same time. In fact, I think we could use more professionals with an affinity for climate control in positions such as these. If the activities behind Buckhorn Industries were implemented honestly and through a sincere partnership with the locals, then the mining could have been done without too much aggravation once a thorough investigation into the possibility of artifacts was concluded. This happens in major cities all the time when new buildings are scheduled to go up. Forensic teams investigate whether or not the building would displace a gravesite or other samples of antiquities. But then if Buckhorn was on the up-and-up, there wouldn't be a good story. Nevertheless, Victoria is my favorite character in the story, and her weighing of business concerns with the needs of the community, and her eventual advocacy for the community was what made the novel that much more interesting.
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

I thought about this too and couldn't wrap it around my head. But I think there must be mining practices that preserve the environment and, therefore, I give Victor a benefit of doubt.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

It depends on how she goes about conducting her mining business. Anything can be done with respect to the environment, and the opposite is true. Also, I believe at these times, you have to do your thing but it doesn't mean you can't support a cause. I mean, whatever good that you can do, why not do it?
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”