Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Sabu21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabu21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Post by Sabu21 »

What an insightful and interesting book! What I find interesting is how relevant the subject of racism in times of war and conflict is still relevant today. We are currently witnessing this with the racial discrimination shown to African and Arabic people trying to flee Ukraine amidst the Russo-Ukrainian crisis.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

Personally, I liked the book very much. I loved how the author described the war and racism issue. It offers different perspective since it's written straight from real experience. The book helps me to understand Vietnam War better, since it wasn't included in my history lesson at school. More people should read this amazing book!
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I'm not really a fan of war novels but I think this one is cool. It really said some facts about racism so I'd recommend it to people that are Interested in war and racism. I'd still rate it four stars, I might not like violence in books but I recognize a good book when I see one
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by peace_m »

I think the most adorable part of the book is the descriptive power of the book. I enjoyed how the author described the war. It made it very relatable and it also embraced the concept of love for one another.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

I am not so much in love with novels that talk about war, but this is special because it talks on racism and how we can live in love regardless of our colour.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

The Enemy in Vietnam is a superbly educative read. The author was brave enough to put out a book that's well-grounded in history and research. This will mostly appeal to those that love topics on war.
Nyavaloesther
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyavaloesther.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Nyavaloesther »

I have heard of the Vietnam war my whole life, however, I always get a picture of white men fighting because it's always a white man's story. This book is excellent as we get to view the war from a different angle. A black man got to tell his story, how was the war as he saw it. To him, it was like fighting a war inside another war. Fighting a war of being a black man inside the Vietnam war
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

The writing style is simplistic and easy to read. I commend the author for recounting his experience and giving a different perspective of the war both in and outside of America at the time. I applaud him
STabassum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stabassum.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by STabassum »

This is a historical non-fictional account from the author’s perspective. He has intermingled various genres with authentic life weave this engrossing read. The war descriptions are graphical and there are also detailed discussions on themes like racism. It has a social awakening type of feel through the narration. It is recommended only for non-fictional lovers.
owobanji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owobanji.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by owobanji »

Billy Springer did a great job with this book. His descriptive ability is quite impressive. I found this book quite entertaining to read. I would like to read more like this.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

I give it 4 stars out of 4..why? First the illustration in the book cover and the title are eye catching and create curiosity. As you read you realise the enemy quoted is not referential to the one during war but the actual enemy at work place. In this case the tale of a black officer in Vietnam. The sufferings are so real yet people do not react just like the spectators just pointing while the police officer assaults her as seen in the book cover. These sufferings of the author make us also realise our enemies surrounding us.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

Racism is a topic of much interest to me. This book clearly addresses the dynamics of the same in a very concise manner. That's what I like most about the book. However, to be honest, the title of the book put me off. Thus I'd because Vietnam is mostly associated with war and suffering. It makes me sad knowing that there are innocent people there that are suffering. This empathy may have made me not read the book since reading about war puts me down. Overall a great book that I'd recommend to others.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Billy Springer is with no doubt a bold writer. He is dedicated to what he believes. and while I believe there is a lesson to be learned from reading this book, I think 3 out of 4 stars is a fair enough rating because I found some issues with the editing. But I still recommend the book.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I've not read many hooks of this genre, but this is already amazing. It's usually a thrill reading about war, but this one gives the adverse effects to both civilians and soldiers alike. The book tells about the experiences of a soldier in the Vietnam wars, so, yes, this book is good overall.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Bello Qudus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-qudus.html
Latest Review: The Lady J Experiment by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bello Qudus »

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to inherited attributes and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.
This book was fantastic read! It counters the racial beliefs of humans generally. Because of the aspects discussed concerning the Vietnam War, this book should be read by everyone.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”