Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Neora Wish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neora-wish.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Post by Neora Wish »

'My Enemy in Vietnam' is a book that addressed how serious the issue of racism can be. I hail from an area where skin color matters to point of some people use very hard chemicals to bleach their skin.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Clueless & Headstrong by Eyvonne Black

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

This book, in my opinion, is important and eye-opening. Racism in particular groups is frequently ignored. I believe it took courage for the author to publicly express his experience. I would suggest this book to others because I believe it to be a compelling memoir deserving of 4 out of 4 stars.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

I particularly liked how straightforward the communication was. The author simply presented his distinctive experiences at a critical juncture in American history; there didn't seem to be any agenda or malice behind it. 3 out of 4 stars is what I gave this book. Due of editing problems, I docked one star. I suggest this book to anyone interested in hearing a soldier's personal experiences set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War. And I discovered a lot about Vietnam.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I like how the author used his life experiences as a motivator for the reader in this book. The book is another reminder on why we should always choose peace at all times.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

It's also incredibly good that the author made every effort to actually learn Vietnamese, and that he gave an overview of the social history rather than merely counting the dead.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

I like books on war because it contains lessons learned and an eye opener on the causes and effects of wars. The story is very crucial to the history of the Vietnam war because as a personal experience, it is told from a humanistic point of view and not political. This is a part we do not see, although frightening it is laced with racial discrimination and labelling which are avoidable.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I initially picked up the book because I live in Vietnam and I'm fascinated bu all history of the country, however after reading it I realised that the war and country were mainly just the setting for a different story. It was interesting but I didn't exactly love it.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

This book, in my opinion, is important and eye-opening. Racism in particular groups is frequently ignored. I believe it took courage for the author to publicly express his experience. I would suggest this book to others because I believe it to be a compelling memoir deserving of 5 out of 5 stars.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”