Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Usman Sy-savane 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usman-sy-savane-1.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Post by Usman Sy-savane 1 »

Books like this are usually not the easiest to write because you have to take careful consideration of the real event; which means doing a lot of research. By including Vietnamese in the book, I already had a sense of security that the author thought and studied the topic carefully before writing the book. :techie-studyinggray:
Blake famari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blake-famari.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Blake famari »

I love this book. The author's description of the war is very thrilling and captivating. I must admit I picked up this book because I was curious about the issues of racism during the war from a soldier's perspective. I was not disappointed. The book does an excellent job of covering issues of race and war. I would recommend this to my friends and anyone looking for an exciting read.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

I feel that everyone should be involved in fighting against racism. The writer did justice to the subject. His writing style was also simple enough for me to comprehend the topic under consideration. I didn't dislike any part.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

I love the fact that the author did not shy from sharing his life experiences. The book Is also educative in the aspects of racism. I would recommend this book due to its educative aspects.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

This is a thought-provoking book with a concept of racism and war. It was not entirely about the war between the two countries but focused more on the racial issues in Vietnam. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical books.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I loved that the book teaches people to live in peace despite the racial differences that might exist, It was an insightful read for me because it was from the author's life experiences. It seemed personal to me.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

My Enemy in Vietnam is an educative read that shows the author's experience in the Vietnam war. I loved the book because of the aspects shared in it. The book was an eye-opener to me. I would recommend it to people who love to read war books.
Favour Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Favour Ojonugwa »

Regardless of our different histories or skin colors, we should all live together in love and unity. These are all covered in this book. I was interested in every aspect of it. It was strictly a non-fiction book to me. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys memoirs because they will enjoy it.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I'd give this book a perfect rating. What I love most a out it is that it educates and entertains the reader simultaneously. I also love the theme of racism which the book further stresses. There are many things that happen in war aside from the body count. Let the newer generations listen.
Perfect Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfect-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Perfect Ojonugwa »

It was an eye-opening read for me because it was written from the author's personal experiences. The book drew me in more because of the simplicity of his writing style. There were lessons to be learned in every part. I really recommend it to nonfiction book fans since it will pique their interest.
Aluko 123456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Aluko 123456 »

I can say selfishness is hidden under the skin of human race, racism simply runs in the veins of all human but i love the idea whereby other racial human world gets married to each other but could there be trust that endures to the end...I need so many things to find out before recommending
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I am personally not a fan of non-fiction books. I also don't like books about war. Reading is my escape, it's my me time. And while a lot of real topics are addressed in this book, I personally do think it's for me.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

Contrary to popular belief, Vietnam was not a war of two countries fighting one another. This book was written to expose the racial issues in Vietnam that US audiences never saw on the evening news. Black men feared for their lives every day, but not from the Viet Cong, from the very men they were serving with. Mr. Springer shares that, at first, it made him bitter. He failed to find any connection between the racial tensions in the USA and black troops serving in Vietnam. How could they be held responsible for the conduct of other people more than 10,000 miles away?
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I think this is a relevant and eye-opening book. Racism in certain groups are often swept under the rug. I think the author was brave to openly share his experience. I would recommend this book to other persons because I think its an intriguing memoir worth 4 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I do not like books about war personally or books where real-life experiences are being written about. I did find it enlightening when the question was asked why he was fighting for his country when he was wrongly treated himself. This was definitely an eye-opener.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”