Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer

Post by gali »

is is a discussion topic for the March 2022 Book of the month, My Enemy in Vietnam, by Billy Springer. What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genres are woven into the text? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

This is the work of an insightful writer, by just reading the bulb, I seem to notice a sense of fear and suspicion that do engulfs us all when confronted with this aged old issue of racism. I mean we all feel that same way; one way or other, either you feel good about it or you feel bad about it, we all come from a human race, and you are not human if you are not racist. But this is not important, because we can overcome that; like Vietnamese befriending a black guy from the US as mentioned in the book or a Japanese fellow marrying an Arab etc.
But what is at stake here is one rather complicated and complex issue and that is mistrustfulness. Racism is like the cover one uses when he/she sees another person with different skin colour, but the real issue behind it is about having that mistrust. I think this is a must-read book for all of us because it has good lessons to learn from.
a musical mind!
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I really enjoyed this book. The main aspect that  I absolutely loved in this book is the way that the war was described. I think the author gave a great representation of war in a general sense through the Vietnam War.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I didn’t really like the book. I understand that there are some people who like this type of book, but I’m not one of them. I am o fan of neither non-fiction nor books about a war. I realize this is akin to being an ostrich with its head in the sand, but I am just not interested. I will tell others about it because from other opinions it is good, but I can’t recommend it.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I love that the author provided an actual account of the social history instead of just giving a body count, and it is also really appreciable that he went through the trouble of actually learning Vietnamese.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I think this is a relevant and eye-opening book. Racism in certain groups are often swept under the rug. I think the author was brave to openly share his experience. I would recommend this book to other persons because I think its an intriguing memoir worth 4 out of 4 stars.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I most appreciated the simplicity of the communication style. There didn't seem to be any malice or agenda: the author just shared his unique experiences at a pivotal time in U.S. history. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of editing issues. I recommend this book to those who want to experience a soldier's personal stories within the overall backdrop of the Vietnam War. I learned a lot about Vietnam too.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

Overall, the book is an educative and enlightening one because it addresses Racism. I like the character development in it. I didn't dislike any part of the book. It was more like a memoir so I didn't see any other genre woven into it. I recommend it to persons that detest Racism because they'll find it helpful.
Faith - Benny Any

I found it to be an eye-opening read because it was poured out fromthe author's life experiences. The simplicity of his writing style endeared me more to the book. All parts had lessons to learn from. I specifically recommend it to lovers of non-fiction books because it will be intriguing to them.
Faith - Benny Any

We all should live together in love and unity despite our varied backgrounds and skin color. This book encompasses these. All parts of it were intriguing to me. To me, it was purely a non-fiction book. I'll best recommend it to lovers of memoirs because they will find it worth reading.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

What I like most about this book is that it is a very personal account of the author's experience in the Vietnam war. As he points out, he is relating things that were never seen on the evening news. My Enemy in Vietnam is a valuable story because it gives a different perspective based on the author's experience. Even though this era has passed, I am interested in what Springer has to say; his book is very relevant because racial tension still exists throughout the world.
Katelyn Townsend 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-townsend-1.html
Latest Review: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova by J.G. Schwartz

Post by Katelyn Townsend 1 »

I feel as though My Enemy in Vietnam shows a side of the Vietnam War we don't often hear about or see in mainstream American education. It was eye-opening in the sense that I gained a new perspective on the Vietnam War. The topic of racism addressed in the book is still relevant to modern times as well. I would definitely recommend this novel to anybody who enjoys reading about history, particularly the Vietnam War.
5_tourmaline
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5-tourmaline.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 5_tourmaline »

I loved the book. It shows that we should always live together in harmony despite our skin color. This book should be a must-read for everyone because of the aspects shared about the Vietnamese war.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

The black serviceman's experience in the Vietnam War is highlighted in this book. The historical essence is top-notch. The book sure deserves a 3 out of 4 rating.
Rashi Agrawal
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashi-agrawal.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashi Agrawal »

The author has done a remarkable job with the book. He has shares his real life experiences with utmost simplicity. It is a real eye-opener. I think I will surely recommend this book to all those who enjoy themes like war and non-fiction books.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”