Themes in my Enemy in Vietnam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Re: Themes in my Enemy in Vietnam

Post by sayoniwrites »

The main theme is racism. However, this book shows the power of opening up our minds. This in turn leads to finding companionship in everyone. Friendship and acceptance were also some of the main themes.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Apart from the theme of racism, the theme of resilience also stands out. Despite being black and all the racism and challenges that surrounded him, the author bounces back and still finds a way of navigating himself in Vietnam.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Gabriela C 1 wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 11:13 My first thought was racism, but I think it goes beyond that. I believe that this book portrays how impossible it is to be truly alone, that when we start opening our hearts and seeing beyond our noses, we can find someone who will do their best to accept and understand us. I think is a very eye-opening scene that the Vietnamese people question black soldiers about their motivations, the fact that they are helping the white soldiers do to them what they have been doing to their people (black communities) for so long.

I think this book can also teach us about solidarity and empathy.
Yes, that's very true Gabriela, companionship and friendship is an important after in the book apart from racism of course. At the end of the day, no matter who you are in life, one still needs a friend to trust and rely on always.
Ayomidekenny2
Currently Reading: Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomidekenny2.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Ayomidekenny2 »

I have five theme from the book. Friendship, language barrier, acceptance, racism, living beyond societal expectation is key for me.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

Friendship and empathy were other themes in the book. I think this demonstrates that our basic common humanity and underlying kindness can rise above less important matters such as which "side" we are on.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I think other than racism, companionship jumps out with the way the soldiers are there for each other and refer to the black soldier as their "soul brother". There is also acceptance from the way the black soldiers blend in.
Cece Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cece-maina.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Cece Maina »

I personally think the theme that was evident to me is friendship...the author and narrator Billy Springer was able to get along with the Vietnamese and they were fond of him until they nicknamed him 'soul brother'.
Osazuwa Ogbebor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osazuwa-ogbebor.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Osazuwa Ogbebor »

Racism was by far the most common theme in the book. Apart from that, companionship, friendship, solidarity were also expressed in the book.
Andrew Malenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-malenya.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Andrew Malenya »

While reading this book it made me wonder which part of being inhuman makes one oppress another person. The author explores the theme of oppression sufficiently. Favourite quote was "Why are you helping the oppressor oppress us when your people are being oppressed in your country?”
Ironside Ms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ironside-ms.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ironside Ms »

Companionship
Friendship,
Living in Love and Unity. Those are the central idea
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

The book's main theme was racism, which was evident throughout. It was difficult to pick up some pieces because the discomfort was amplified whenever such instances occurred. Other than that, the sense and feeling of being united were also one of the main themes.
Christopher Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Christopher Martin »

The themes of Friendship and Unity depicted herein, restored my Faith in Humanity.Billy Springer's book brought out these themes in an exceptional manner that captivates the reader all the while. With Humanity, For Humanity.
Tendy567
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tendy567.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tendy567 »

Acceptance and unity were other themes portrayed in the book. The Vietnamese accepted that their skin color may be different from that of the black soldiers but they united to fight alongside each other.
Bookfest101
Currently Reading: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfest101.html
Latest Review: The Ping-Pong Champion of Chinatown by James Hanna

Post by Bookfest101 »

I think the author tried to show us that irrespective of where you come, you could be accepted and related with based on who you are a person are. And this is powerful. One thing that our colours and background does to us to stereotype us such that you don't get judged base on your person but rather on your race which is terrible.
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

There is togetherness and friendship, but racism is an aspect of this book I find unpleasant. The racism or discrimination demonstrated against the black soldiers was disheartening.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”