Integration through learning a language

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Integration through learning a language

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

The author of my enemy in Vietnam shared how he had to learn the language in other to thrive and relate well with the locals. Do you think learning the language of a new place you visit a good relations opportunity while on a war, or will it weaken the soldier by making the soldier attached to the people he is supposed to be fighting.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Connor Farrell
Currently Reading: The Art of Public Speaking
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connor-farrell.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Connor Farrell »

No, I think that it is a matter of good relations. Learning the language shows the civilians that you are dedicated to fighting with and for them instead of just mercenaries. It will not weaken the soldier by making them more attached.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

Learning a language of any place you are in will always be advantageous. Blending in with the locals becomes easier and it becomes more efficient to navigate the place. As a soldier, the main advantage might be to overhear conversations that could ultimately save your life and the lives of your companions. Being attached to the locals is a possibility although it can be minimised by keeping the interactions with the locals at a low level.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that learning the language of the people you’re living with creates respect whether you are a soldier or not. Just think about it; would you want to help someone who didn’t even respect you enough to try to communicate with you?
Kelsey Copeland
Currently Reading: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-copeland.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Kelsey Copeland »

I’m no soldier and there hasn’t been a veteran in my immediate family for a couple generations, but I feel like war is something very complex, and something that ignorance can easily take advantage of.

If you’re in a country and fighting a war, I think no matter how sure you are that you’re doing the right thing, you should always keep all your eyes open. Maybe you need to close them at certain times. Of course, you don’t need to be questioning your superiors in super dire situations or deserting in the middle of any skirmish or shootout, but I think without knowing the language of the people/environment around you, you’re willingly closing yourself off from better understanding the war you’re a part of. And that seems irresponsible.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

This is a thoughtful question. I think that learning a language can lend empathy and insight to a group of people that may not have been understood well before. Especially in wartime, it can be seen as a sign of good will and understanding. Knowledge is power as the old adage goes.
5_tourmaline
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5-tourmaline.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 5_tourmaline »

Learning the language shows how respect and appreciation for the people. It may even help you understand why you are at war with them. And also avoid excessive collateral damage.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

Study your enemy to know their inside secret. It's very much necessary. You need to keep your enemy close. In fact, it is used as a strategy sometimes. This would make the indigenes feel like you are with them. So, i say that learning a new language in a different environment is an opportunity and would be more advantageous, war or not.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

learning the people you are living with language is definitely a must whether you are at was or not, because it could somehow save your life or change it, understanding what people are saying can definitely be of great help in difficult situations like being held captive or being stuck in a crossfire.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Macha Marumo Mphela
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macha-marumo-mphela.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Macha Marumo Mphela »

This is a very interesting thought. On one hand, learning the language of the people would make one a thoughtful and empathetic human, whilst it might make them a worse off soldier. I guess it depends on the individual. If connecting with the locals in their language works for one soldier it may not work for the other, but I'm learning towards learning the language.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:

Connor Farrell wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 11:07 No, I think that it is a matter of good relations. Learning the language shows the civilians that you are dedicated to fighting with and for them instead of just mercenaries. It will not weaken the soldier by making them more attached.
This is where I'm leaning to. Being a decent human won't necessarily mean being a bad soldier.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:

Kelsey Copeland wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 13:14 I’m no soldier and there hasn’t been a veteran in my immediate family for a couple generations, but I feel like war is something very complex, and something that ignorance can easily take advantage of.

If you’re in a country and fighting a war, I think no matter how sure you are that you’re doing the right thing, you should always keep all your eyes open. Maybe you need to close them at certain times. Of course, you don’t need to be questioning your superiors in super dire situations or deserting in the middle of any skirmish or shootout, but I think without knowing the language of the people/environment around you, you’re willingly closing yourself off from better understanding the war you’re a part of. And that seems irresponsible.
You said it very well. Learning the language may help the soldier see war from the eyes of the locals, which can make said soldier better at being human and doing the job.
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

Billy Springer demonstrates to us that by learning a foreign language, we can easily integrate ourselves to the foreign culture's values and beliefs, creating friendship and brotherhood where there'd been none.
TrustedInc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trustedinc.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by TrustedInc »

I think learning the language of we're you are show the level of your patriotism irrespective of the circumstances
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Language has been the medium of communication hence learning other languages helps you to fit in their environment. In addition, to a soldier you are able to get the codes of the enemies and friends. If the people you protect are in danger, then you will know since you understand the codes they use in their language. So it is ok the soldier learnt.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”