Integration through learning a language

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Mahdis Sadeghi
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahdis-sadeghi.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Re: Integration through learning a language

Post by Mahdis Sadeghi »

In my opinion, learning a language is beneficial whether you are a soldier or not. Knowing the language of the opposing country at war can help them build relationships and they can communicate easier. They also can get to know why they are in a war and the mindset of their opposing country.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I certainly do not think that relating and integrating with civilians weakens the soldier or makes him attached. If anything, it is a wise war strategy.
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sara Scott »

I keep thinking back on this premise.
I took an anthropology course in university, and I remember the professor saying that a culture's language accurately portrays how they feel through their language.
For example, in English, we see time as a commodity - we talk about wasting time, spending time, buying time, etc.
In French, when they miss someone, they exact translation is actually, "You're missing from me," showing how much they value connections and relationships.
I think learning a language gives you an intimate view into a culture. With that sort of understanding of a people, how can you then see them as an enemy? I can't wrap my head around it. I think it would absolutely affect judgement.
Andrew Malenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-malenya.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Andrew Malenya »

I think learning the language of the people you are going to serve puts you in a better position to help those people. It is an advantage to a soldier.
Abby Smith 5
Currently Reading: Run Rose Run
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-smith-5.html
Latest Review: Loving Preston by Maria Pryor Herndon

Post by Abby Smith 5 »

I could see how learning the language opens the door to getting to know people and resulting in becoming attached. However, I think the pros to learning the language would be far greater. Not only would it give you an upper hand, but I think would have many benefits. For example, being able to build a relationship with the people will help you find allies that could prove useful.
Patricia Akwei
Currently Reading: The strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Patricia Akwei »

I think it is important to learn the language of the particular group of people that you find yourself in. For easy access of services and to avoid being stranded.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

In my opinion, I think learning the language of a place or foreign land is very essential for survival and ultimately for progress. In learning the language of the people, you earn their trust and as such they feel you're a part of them. It would also make the people willing to help you in time of need.
Good Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-good-writer.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Good Writer »

For you to be part of a system you must be grounded in that system same applies her language is paramount it's shows you are part of those who speak the language.
Rebecca Flores
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-flores.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Rebecca Flores »

I feel that even in a war situation learning the language can help you understand and have empathy for those around you. Language is a huge barrier in communication. Knowing what they are saying could even help in problematic war situations, and maybe even deescalate a situation.
Vinny Zinny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinny-zinny.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Vinny Zinny »

Learning the language in a place one visits is amazing. I consider it a good skill especially when the stranger learns it fast. It's a good thing the soldiers learnt it as it facilitates and enhances effective communication with the civilians. With that skill he can achieve their trust easily and carry out his mission.
Vivian Amponsah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Vivian Amponsah »

Learning the language is an advantage one. You can easily know what is going on around you.
Bunmi27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmi27.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Bunmi27 »

Learning a language will be advantageous because it makes communication easier. It will also make it easy for the soldier to learn more about the environment whether there is war or not.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I believe it's a two way sword. Of course, as a soldiers, knowing your enemy's language will always be advantageous, but i believe it will also make you see them less as the 'enemy' and more like your neighbours.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

Learning a new language is a good way to demonstrate a sense of caring for those you are fighting for. It creates a connection and proves that you are really trying to have a personal connection with those you stand with
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Language is a very important part if a person's identity. The ability for someone to speak a person's language definitely creates a connection between them and creates advantage.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”