Integration through learning a language

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Ozoab1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozoab1.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Integration through learning a language

Post by Ozoab1 »

I think learning a language is great for a soldier. It will help him to understand what the enemies are saying and will even aid his disguise. A soldier shouldn't be attached to his opposition, hence, learning a language shouldn't be a weakness
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I don't see how learning the language of a new country or locality would weaken a soldier l, especially if you were already on the side of the locals in the first place. Learning their language will only strengthen your bond and make them more loyal to you and your cause. The locals will trust you better if you can speak their language. And another thing with languages is that the better you get at a language, the easier it'll be for you to assimilate the culture in that environment. That way you not only talk like them, you feel what they feel and can navigate life in the specific nuances of that culture. You see where I'm going with this, I believe.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I don't think there's anything negative about learning the native language, especially working to understand the culture. I think it shows the people a great deal of respect when we try to not only learn the words of the language, but try to understand the 'why' or culture of the people. We feel respected when others do that for us. I don't see how this would have any disadvantage; In fact, I believe we need to do this more.
ZhanLu
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhanlu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by ZhanLu »

It is always good to learn more languages rather than sticking to one native language because it's better to be knowledgeable than to be ignorant. Especially, if you are planning on staying in a foreign country. Learning that said country's language will leave good impression on the people there and just might save your life too! Language barriers should be gone! Him learning the language in times of war is so helpful to him and it will make communicating easier. Getting informations, especially, in times of war is so important.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

I think learning a language is absolutely important in not only understanding the civilians but also creating a good rapport with them. This shows them you're allies and not there as a conqueror. I don't think understanding and relating with civilians would weaken a soldier.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

True to the words, learning a foreign language is important especially when living with the people who speak it. It creates a unique blend and helps understanding. One can then imagine it's usefulness in the time of war. Indeed, it works out integration.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

mutumafrank wrote: 19 May 2022, 02:46 I think learning a language is absolutely important in not only understanding the civilians but also creating a good rapport with them. This shows them you're allies and not there as a conqueror. I don't think understanding and relating with civilians would weaken a soldier.
I agree. It demonstrates respect in that you are not expecting civilians to learn your language, but will make the effort to understand more about their language and therefore their culture and experiences. I think it implies you realise that your first language is not superior to anyone else's first language and that you will value what they have to say.
Sandradozie1995
Currently Reading: The Fifth Strain
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by Sandradozie1995 »

I think learning the language of the people you are serving helps you, understand them better. It will bridge a lot of gaps.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I think learning the language would help one thrive. Would the soldier and up forming strong bonds with the locals? Yes, that's likely. But who’s to say that would be a bad thing?
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

This is a two way street, but I think the pros outweighs the cons. It really is wise to learn the language of the locals when engaged in warfare. For one, it helps you blend in. Secondly, it gives you an edge over your adversaries as you can understand them and not the other way around.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Attachment can never be overlooked, because while learning, we gain friendships. Learning of the languages had broken the barrier between them. At least they will get to understand the people they are meant to protect.
Favour Yahaya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-yahaya.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Favour Yahaya »

Learning a language of people you are to fight give you more insight about them, it will easily help you achieve your goals.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Learning the local language during war will have it's benefits. To communicate with locals, issue alerts and warnings, find if enemy is making plans against you. The language barrier is lifted and will help with finding transport, food, and other important resources sources, and most importantly information.
Being attached to the locals due to increase in communication may or may not be an issue, based on the degree of attachment.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

Language can be a barrier in communication, as communication means to be heard and understood. The soldiers learning the language shows their patriotic spirit and they will be able to learn the code of the people and even the enemies. Moreover, it helps them understand the people they are to protect.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

I think that any soldier that does that is smart. A time may come when you may have to communicate a plea or instructions to the native people. If you do not know the language, well you can guess how that will end. On the issue of getting attached, I think that that is solely dependent on the resolve of said soldier.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”