Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Rexan
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexan.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: 1400699894

Re: Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Post by Rexan »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 18:34 I had a similar experience with yet another book. I frlt uneasy at first reading the terms the author referred to other people, but later I realized the terms weren't as sensitive as they are now. It's very risky to write such books. However, I still believe updated versions should be made to include clarifications on these points, or at least if it's a new publication a clarification should be included somewhere in the book.
Exactly, it's really risky. I've found myself one time to many put down that I loved because some terms. It made me think ill of the author.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

Considering how sensitive the world has become. I think it was not appropriate to use the word..
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

I think it is a bit incongruent now but congruent with the capturing the social climate of the era without political correctness.

In another Vietnam War book I read, REMF: Hurry Up and Wait, there were a slew of racial slurs and derogatory terms used against the Vietnamese, many of which I had never even heard before. However, I think to eliminate this chatter would be to take away from the social climate of the time.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

El Brandhaus wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 20:16 I think it is a bit incongruent now but congruent with the capturing the social climate of the era without political correctness.

In another Vietnam War book I read, REMF: Hurry Up and Wait, there were a slew of racial slurs and derogatory terms used against the Vietnamese, many of which I had never even heard before. However, I think to eliminate this chatter would be to take away from the social climate of the time.
I understand what you mean, but since there's so much of a difference between what was accepted at the time of the story and what it is now (when the book was published) there should be disclaimer, or at least a footnote that acknowledges that the author knows this is offensive.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

Lunastella wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 09:53
I understand what you mean, but since there's so much of a difference between what was accepted at the time of the story and what it is now (when the book was published) there should be disclaimer, or at least a footnote that acknowledges that the author knows this is offensive.
It’s a good point, and I agree with you. I could see such a disclaimer appropriate in a “Foreword” or at the end in a “Note From the Author”. I like your idea of a footnote.
Matire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matire.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Matire »

Seeing that the book was written long ago, the word 'redneck' might have had a different connotation compared to what it does now; so, the author might not have intended to sound racist. Although, it will be lovely if a new edition takes into account these tricky words and replace them with less complicated ones while still maintaining originality.
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I think the term redneck is not derogatory. It is offensive to call a person that, however, it does not compare to racial slurs. Considering the social climate also, the term was commonly used.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Oluwadamilola Awodele wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 04:35 Seeing that the book was written long ago, the word 'redneck' might have had a different connotation compared to what it does now; so, the author might not have intended to sound racist. Although, it will be lovely if a new edition takes into account these tricky words and replace them with less complicated ones while still maintaining originality.
Actually, the meaning was the same. I looked it up. There's a link in this thread somewhere with the information on how the word has evolved. What has changed, in my opinion, is how socially acceptable using these words has become. This is why a polished edition, as you mentioned, is a great idea.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I think things were definitely different now than they were then. Even though the racial slurs directed to the author were horrible, i believe you should always be the change you want to see. I know this is easier said than done, especially for the author back then when you could see his frustration at his army colleagues.

Nazzo wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 06:34 I think things were definitely different now than they were then. Even though the racial slurs directed to the author were horrible, i believe you should always be the change you want to see. I know this is easier said than done, especially for the author back then when you could see his frustration at his army colleagues.
Exactly. I understand that, as humans, we are often led by emotions and blinded by the harm that's been inflicted on us. In this case, racism. But I think the only way to eradicate racism is to make a harsh self-examination, whether we've been victims, perpetrators, or just onlookers.
Gehm
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gehm.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Gehm »

I believe it was because of the social climate of that era though he should not had used it as some people might find it to be quite so.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

In my opinion, it is incongruent. People often complain about issues such as racism and then make themselves guilty of it. This also happens often amongst cultural groups.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I agree with several others that it is because of the social climate. The word "rednecks" has grown to become a more offensive word, but it has been socially acceptable for a long time. Most all racial slurs and other offensive terms start out as socially acceptable. Society has been progressing to understand the importance of language and to make it unacceptable to use such slurs. I hope we keep moving in this direction!

Natalie Charlene wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 15:54 I agree with several others that it is because of the social climate. The word "rednecks" has grown to become a more offensive word, but it has been socially acceptable for a long time. Most all racial slurs and other offensive terms start out as socially acceptable. Society has been progressing to understand the importance of language and to make it unacceptable to use such slurs. I hope we keep moving in this direction!
I hope so, too. That as a society, we keep moving toward kindness and empathy. It's in everyone on us to do a hard self-examination and to speak up when we see someone else being hurt, either physically or by words.
Elendu Divine-Treasure
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-divine-treasure.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Elendu Divine-Treasure »

I found the racial slurs quite annoying, but it made the book more relatable.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”