Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author complains, and rightfully so, about the use of racial slurs ("Some were even taunted by hearing the N word openly..." )
However, he uses the derogatory term "redneck," (i.e. "They thought nothing of beating down any redneck who disrespected them.")
Do you think this is incongruent? Or could it be attributed to the social climate of the time, in which political correctness was not a priority?
Miriam Kenneth
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Miriam Kenneth »

I think the use of the word 'redneck' is due to the social climate at the time. This is because racial discrimination was commonplace as at then.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macha-marumo-mphela.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Macha Marumo Mphela »

Prejudice and what people consider racial slurs are a tough subject to navigate. On one hand, "redneck" may be considered derogatory, but on the other, it may not because there's no history of the word being violently used against a group of people. For instance, a white man calling a black man "boy" can be seen as micro-aggressive whilst a black man saying it to a white man may be seen as nothing more than what it is. The former reaction has history backing it up.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Lunastella wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 14:00 The author complains, and rightfully so, about the use of racial slurs ("Some were even taunted by hearing the N word openly..." )
However, he uses the derogatory term "redneck," (i.e. "They thought nothing of beating down any redneck who disrespected them.")
Do you think this is incongruent? Or could it be attributed to the social climate of the time, in which political correctness was not a priority?
I think he is incongruent and not incongruent at the same time, since he complained about using the N-word he should abstain from using any word that could have the slightest relation to racism, however, the word could have been used at that time in a completely different context and meaning for that you can't really know unless you lived in that era.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

Unfortunately, racial slurs and derogatory terms are utterances we hear in our day-to-day activities, and Billy Springer demonstrates the effects they leave in our lives.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that some (no judgment) have become hypersensitive to some racial slurs. I have seen this hypersensitivity happening with some in my life having nothing to do with race. Again, in no way do I want to diminish the feelings of some. I am not insensitive to the plight of anyone. I think that certain words have racist undertones while others do not. I was not offended by the words that the author used while I was by the words of others. I guess I don’t know how I feel about it.
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

I think he used the term as one of example to justify the other incidents of racism which he experienced.
Katelyn Townsend 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-townsend-1.html
Latest Review: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova by J.G. Schwartz

Post by Katelyn Townsend 1 »

I believe the history these words carry is what differentiates them. In the past, the "n" word has been used in incredibly derogatory and demeaning situations towards people of color, especially during times of segregation. The word "redneck" does not carry a history of segregation or slavery, and in some parts of the United States (like my own) it is often used affectionately. I believe the social climate of the author's time, as well as the modern social climate both, contribute to the discrepancy in derogatory terms.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Katelyn Townsend 1 wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 10:50 I believe the history these words carry is what differentiates them. In the past, the "n" word has been used in incredibly derogatory and demeaning situations towards people of color, especially during times of segregation. The word "redneck" does not carry a history of segregation or slavery, and in some parts of the United States (like my own) it is often used affectionately. I believe the social climate of the author's time, as well as the modern social climate both, contribute to the discrepancy in derogatory terms.
You make an excellent point. As far as I know, "redneck" refers to a social condition more than to a racial one and, as you mention, is not associated with a tragic story such as slavery.

Amy Luman wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 10:00 I think that some (no judgment) have become hypersensitive to some racial slurs. I have seen this hypersensitivity happening with some in my life having nothing to do with race. Again, in no way do I want to diminish the feelings of some. I am not insensitive to the plight of anyone. I think that certain words have racist undertones while others do not. I was not offended by the words that the author used while I was by the words of others. I guess I don’t know how I feel about it.
I know what you mean. It's hard to find a balance between what's politically correct and what's exaggerated, especially for those of us who grew up in a time where political correctness was not really a thing. It's also, in my opinion, a cultural matter. What could be considered offensive in some cultures is not so in other cultures.

AfraBrb wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 04:58
Lunastella wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 14:00 The author complains, and rightfully so, about the use of racial slurs ("Some were even taunted by hearing the N word openly..." )
I think he is incongruent and not incongruent at the same time, since he complained about using the N-word he should abstain from using any word that could have the slightest relation to racism, however, the word could have been used at that time in a completely different context and meaning for that you can't really know unless you lived in that era.
I think it depends on the era but also on the social situation. I have no idea, I admit, of the culture (the relationships, the language, and so on) that military people experience. So, perhaps, that could be a factor too.

Macha Mphela wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 04:33 Prejudice and what people consider racial slurs are a tough subject to navigate. On one hand, "redneck" may be considered derogatory, but on the other, it may not because there's no history of the word being violently used against a group of people. For instance, a white man calling a black man "boy" can be seen as micro-aggressive whilst a black man saying it to a white man may be seen as nothing more than what it is. The former reaction has history backing it up.
I believe it might be an issue of the degree of violence. As far as I investigated, it is indeed a derogatory term, although some folks have reclaimed it and are using it in a different way. It was intended to be offensive and to describe poor white people, specially the ones living in the South, but also even Communists. However, the degree of violence that a verbal insult implies can't be compared with the immense suffering associated with the N-word.

Miriam Kenneth wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 02:14 I think the use of the word 'redneck' is due to the social climate at the time. This is because racial discrimination was commonplace as at then.
True. Political correctness was not a thing until quite recently. It was not even a thing when I was growing up, and I'm not that old :wink2:
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I had a similar experience with yet another book. I frlt uneasy at first reading the terms the author referred to other people, but later I realized the terms weren't as sensitive as they are now. It's very risky to write such books. However, I still believe updated versions should be made to include clarifications on these points, or at least if it's a new publication a clarification should be included somewhere in the book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

While the term may not be explicitly derogatory, words have associated meaning, especially when they come from a particular group of people. Would have been best he didn't use such terms either after complaining about them.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”