Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Miranda Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-alex.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Post by Miranda Alex »

Sadly, we live in a culture with dual standards. Why is "boy" acceptable to black people but objectionable to white people? To determine whether this is because the black just accepts it or is only experiencing an inferiority complex makes it difficult. I do agree, though, that it is a difficult topic to deal with even in real life, and this novel is no less an exception.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I do think he used it for justification of how it was as of that time.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I found it to be a little out of place. I don't think the auhor should be using negative generalisations like this when he is criticising the use of other terms by other people.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

Another book I read led to a similar experience. As I read the terms the author used to refer to other people, I initially found them unsettling, but as I read on, I came to see that they weren't as offensive as they are now. Such books are incredibly dangerous to write. To be clear, I still think these concerns should be clarified in updated versions, or if a new edition is being published, a clarification should be included somewhere in the book.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”