Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Elendu Divine-Treasure wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 18:21 I found the racial slurs quite annoying, but it made the book more relatable.
I agree it makes the speech much more authentic and the story more relatable, but I don't think it's congruent to complain about slurs (which is perfectly understandable) but use a hurtful term in, practically, the same sentence.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

The both words are objectively profane and racially degrading. I believe that was not a good choice on the author's part. I'll not liked to be called a *****, same as a Redneck.
Abby Smith 5
Currently Reading: Run Rose Run
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-smith-5.html
Latest Review: Loving Preston by Maria Pryor Herndon

Post by Abby Smith 5 »

I think it could be attributed to the social climate of the time. I also think you have to look at the word and it’s history and context. I’ve never know redneck to be derogatory. Unfortunately, people associate different means and emotions to words, regardless of their intentions.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Abby Smith 5 wrote: 04 May 2022, 09:08 I think it could be attributed to the social climate of the time. I also think you have to look at the word and it’s history and context. I’ve never know redneck to be derogatory. Unfortunately, people associate different means and emotions to words, regardless of their intentions.
I get what you mean. But I don't think that's the case. The story of the word "redneck" as an offensive term has been well documented, not only in dictionaries but in sociology and history papers. See, for example, how Merriam-Webster lists it: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redneck

Kings1999 wrote: 03 May 2022, 13:29 The both words are objectively profane and racially degrading. I believe that was not a good choice on the author's part. I'll not liked to be called a *****, same as a Redneck.
Exactly. Before saying or doing something potentially harmful, I always try to ask myself how would I like it if it was said or done to me. It's what's called in Christianity "the golden rule." But many religions have this same precept, and even if one's not religious, it's just common sense.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I believe the author's use of language clearly reflects the time period. In the days of Vietnam, people were not thinking about being politically correct when speaking. I grew up in the same social climate, where people consistently used all sorts of racial slurs and derogatory terms, and they were not called out on it. Times have surely changed, and people have become more sensitive to the language that they use.

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 05 May 2022, 12:16 I believe the author's use of language clearly reflects the time period. In the days of Vietnam, people were not thinking about being politically correct when speaking. I grew up in the same social climate, where people consistently used all sorts of racial slurs and derogatory terms, and they were not called out on it. Times have surely changed, and people have become more sensitive to the language that they use.
Thank you! It's very enriching to get an insight from someone who actually lived through that period. Most of us are making educated guesses. Now I wonder if you think it's congruent with the rest of the narrative or not.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

Racial slurs sadly exist to this day though at that time they were much more accepted as a part of life than they are now.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

It's very awful that racial slurs and derogatory words are still used in our daily lives, despite the passage of time. I believe the author used it to describe the era's social atmosphere.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Muna123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Muna123 »

The racial slurs had a way of making me understand this book better. Though the were derogatory but I found it very essential.

Muna123 wrote: 11 May 2022, 06:23 The racial slurs had a way of making me understand this book better. Though the were derogatory but I found it very essential.
Of course, I understand they're essential to the plot. I just think there should be a small paragraph or a little disclaimer explaining that, in hindsight, the author understands that using derogatory terms is harmful, no matter the race or the situation.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

I see no inconsistencies in what the author points out; similarly, I think there is a fine line between what a person may or may not consider an insult. Besides what may obviously be offensive, some "terms" may depend on a more subjective view. Certainly, analyzing the social climate of the time is critical in determining the implication of referring to someone as a "redneck".
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Lunastella wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 14:21
Macha Mphela wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 04:33 Prejudice and what people consider racial slurs are a tough subject to navigate. On one hand, "redneck" may be considered derogatory, but on the other, it may not because there's no history of the word being violently used against a group of people. For instance, a white man calling a black man "boy" can be seen as micro-aggressive whilst a black man saying it to a white man may be seen as nothing more than what it is. The former reaction has history backing it up.
I believe it might be an issue of the degree of violence. As far as I investigated, it is indeed a derogatory term, although some folks have reclaimed it and are using it in a different way. It was intended to be offensive and to describe poor white people, specially the ones living in the South, but also even Communists. However, the degree of violence that a verbal insult implies can't be compared with the immense suffering associated with the N-word.
I definitely agree.
George Baker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-baker.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by George Baker »

His complaint was right and accurate, but he erred when he used the term, redneck which is also derogatory.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I understand this is an extremely sensitive subject right now. Something we need to remember is the context: when was the story taking place, where was it taking place, and what language would have been used during that time?
If you study the Bible, you need to consider the same ideas about context. Some thing written there can come off very offensively, but the context needs to be considered: Who is being addressed? What's the atmosphere of the culture? etc.
I hate that authors do a great deal of research to make their pieces well written to have to worry and dodge vocabulary in order to not offend someone accidentally. I absolutely do not condone slavery or the words associated with it; I'm simply stating that events happened and are true, and if an author is trying to keep that setting true in his writing, he needs to use the correct vocabulary. That doesn't make him a racist or judgmental.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”