Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Racial slurs and derogatory terms

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Kayla Archer wrote: 17 May 2022, 12:34 I understand this is an extremely sensitive subject right now. Something we need to remember is the context: when was the story taking place, where was it taking place, and what language would have been used during that time?
If you study the Bible, you need to consider the same ideas about context. Some thing written there can come off very offensively, but the context needs to be considered: Who is being addressed? What's the atmosphere of the culture? etc.
I hate that authors do a great deal of research to make their pieces well written to have to worry and dodge vocabulary in order to not offend someone accidentally. I absolutely do not condone slavery or the words associated with it; I'm simply stating that events happened and are true, and if an author is trying to keep that setting true in his writing, he needs to use the correct vocabulary. That doesn't make him a racist or judgmental.
I'm not saying he's racist. Not at all. Not even judgemental. Nor do I mean to imply that slavery didn't happen and racism, sadly, is still an everyday occurrence. What I mean is that by being harmed by a group of people one can become unsensitized to the fact that there are other vulnerable groups who could feel offended by our words.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

This is one of those issues where the rules aren't explicitly defined. The discriminatory racial connotations of certain words vary based on the word itself, and it's history, so I do not believe the term the OP speaks of, has the same negative connotation as, perhaps, the N-word. However, I believe context also plays an important role, as if the writers intention is to offend, then it is, of course, offensive.
ZhanLu
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhanlu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by ZhanLu »

The "n" word has a tragic history behind it, while "redneck" does not. It is more towards the social climate and not offensive in my viewpoint. But, I am not sure how the political correctness and racial discrimination connect. As far as I am aware, there was no political meaning behind to any racial slur in the past.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Wy_Bertram wrote: 18 May 2022, 12:33 This is one of those issues where the rules aren't explicitly defined. The discriminatory racial connotations of certain words vary based on the word itself, and it's history, so I do not believe the term the OP speaks of, has the same negative connotation as, perhaps, the N-word. However, I believe context also plays an important role, as if the writers intention is to offend, then it is, of course, offensive.
I don't think his intention was to offend. And, of course, the violence implied in both words isn't comparable. I just think that while complaining, and rightfully so, of the harm that words can do, he wasn't simultaneously being aware of the implications of his own language. But I don't think there's an intentional harmful implication behind it.

gusulansect wrote: 18 May 2022, 18:53 The "n" word has a tragic history behind it, while "redneck" does not. It is more towards the social climate and not offensive in my viewpoint. But, I am not sure how the political correctness and racial discrimination connect. As far as I am aware, there was no political meaning behind to any racial slur in the past.
I completely understand the level of harm is not the same. But I also don't think politics, especially current politics, have necessarily something to do with the harm a word can do.
Ochieng Stephen Owino
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-stephen-owino.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Ochieng Stephen Owino »

Racial slurs and derogatory terms usually have a nasty effect on people's lives. However, the term redneck has never been used to oppress a certain group of people like the N-word has. Hence I think it is total dependent on the social climate of the time.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

Well "redneck" seems to be relative from perspective given. But the N word is clear to its racial content. Nevertheless, some may also see it somewhat relative. But the use of the N-word clearly demonstrate a major theme of the book.
Sandradozie1995
Currently Reading: The Fifth Strain
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by Sandradozie1995 »

Those terms, were very hurtful and derogatory. The quality of a person shouldn't be measured by his/her skin colour.

Sandradozie1995 wrote: 22 May 2022, 03:34 Those terms, were very hurtful and derogatory. The quality of a person shouldn't be measured by his/her skin colour.
I couldn't agree more. It's absurd that people think that the amount of melanin on our skin means something about our character.
Ibunyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibunyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ibunyi »

I believe the impact of racial slurs and derogatory terms affect people differently. However, I wouldn't dislike 5he author for using what he thought was correct in the setting of the book
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The 'n' word is more eye-catching racial slur while rednecks won't cause a lot of waves for different readers. It is also incongruent with authors complaint of racial slurs. The use of derogatory 'n' word and rednecks is due to the social climate at that time.
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

I believe that the use of the term "redneck" is acceptable, especially considering the period the events in the book were set when political correctness was not an issue. What is derogatory or not is highly based on context and can be subjective as well.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

The term dates back to the olden days when politics are not balanced. I feel the use of the term now will be understood in term of the society, one’s upbringing, you know, and level of understanding. If a person grows up hearing this term every time in a bad way, definitely, that makes it derogatory.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

To me, I just feel we need an updated version of some derogatory words and a lot of us need to know them, to avoid misunderstanding. This is on the part of the hearer, and to the person saying it, study the person who is talking to we'll, some people still come from where these words probably have a bad meaning. That way, we will know when to use those derogatory terms and when not.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

I think his using that slur was to show what was commonplace in those times. It still is though.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”