Do Soldiers Commit A Sin By Killing In War?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Book of the month, "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Do Soldiers Commit A Sin By Killing In War?

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

Billy Springer said in his book, "My conscience is clear, I never harmed anyone in Vietnam and God is my witness!"
It's encouraging to see someone return from a battle without injuring anyone, whether soldiers or civilians.

Throughout history, humans have been involved in numerous battles for various reasons. Soldiering gradually changed from being a warrior to being an employee (with no disrespect intended for the sacrifices made by troops all around the world), and from face-to-face fighting to gunfights from afar. Soldiers follow orders and begin fire. They don't always see the adversary, and they don't always know whether their shots struck the enemy. And, in most cases, they hold no personal grudges against their adversaries. Simply put, they're 'performing their job correctly.'

Do troops, in such case, commit a sin by killing?
Sandradozie1995
Currently Reading: The Fifth Strain
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by Sandradozie1995 »

World leaders should find anyway to solve national issues, war is not always the answer. Yes, soldiers commit a sin by killing civilians and adversaries, we can't overlook the reasons they go into war, some for honour etc.
Tory Munyandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tory-munyandi.html
Latest Review: Stupid Divorce by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Tory Munyandi »

I think this is a very good question. In my opinion, killing is a sin. It does not matter what the reason is.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

This is a very sensitive question that would need a lot of wisdom to answer without any bias. The soldiers are simply doing their job but I still feel that everyone deserves a second chance to change into a better person. Dialogue between both parties is still a good way to prevent war from happening.
Ibunyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibunyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ibunyi »

Although one can argue war is necessary to the current civilization, I believe disputes of all kinds can be solved alternatively to engaging in war. It is clear that most of war victims are those opposed to the war directly. As a leader, I would actively champion alternative conflict resolution techniques.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

This is a very complicated question. In my opinion, killing is killing, no matter what. But in a situation of war where if you do not kill you are killed yourself, I think it becomes a form of self-defence.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

Taking ones life is a sin. I feel like the world would be a better place without war if people would be willing to understand the other's perspective.
Good--writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-good-writer_3423672.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Good--writer »

Generally, killing is a sin but I don't think it applies in war because they kill to maintain peace of their nation.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Do soldiers comit a sin by killing in war? This is a very interesting question! In war, the general notion is kill or be killed. Except in rare cases where the other party willingly surrenders, killing in war is merely a discharge of one's duties.
Le Tan Xuong
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-tan-xuong.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Le Tan Xuong »

Tory Munyandi wrote: 22 May 2022, 08:20 I think this is a very good question. In my opinion, killing is a sin. It does not matter what the reason is.
Murder for selfish reasons is a sin. Because of the ten commandments God gave Moses in The Book of Exodus. For example, someone hurts your feelings and you hurt their entire lifespan. But in times of war it is different. For example, when the God of the Christian Bible commands the cleansing of sin then it is not sin when you are following orders.
Mahmoud Nassar 2
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mahmoud Nassar 2 »

I think there more answers other than wars to the global issues .Many soldiers go there because they are made to.We all know the situation of Muhammad Ali who refused to go there.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

This is a very good question. Biblically and morally, it's a sin, but for soldiers, it's what they are trained to do. There's nothing we can do about it cause there will always be war.
Terryl Vahsholtz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terryl-vahsholtz.html
Latest Review: Why God Allows Evil and Suffering by Sine Nomine

Post by Terryl Vahsholtz »

It is a very good question and one that haunts many soldiers. One must understand that a soldier is following a order. That does not make it right to kill civilians, women and children. But war is awful and what happens is sometimes horrible on both sides.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I believe other dispute-solving mechanisms can be used other than resorting to war. My answer is yes soldiers do sin when they kill at war.
Favour Yahaya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-yahaya.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Favour Yahaya »

I think soldier killing at war is not a sin, they're assign to do what ever the order says.

Return to “Discuss "My Enemy in Vietnam" by Billy Springer”