How is this book different from the other pirate stories?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Re: How is this book different from the other pirate stories?

Post by Abi McCoy »

I think the whole concept of having a woman on a ship and it being accepted makes for a unique read. Not only that, but also an entire family! I haven't run across that before. And as others have said, addressing the slave trade in relation to piracy was an interesting addition that added some depth to this work.
Gifty_biblophile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-biblophile.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Gifty_biblophile »

The book felt real. I enjoyed how the pirates spoke, hence the author did a good job in building the character of pirates.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

This book focuses heavily on the abolitionist movement, which I think is unique for a pirate story. I also like how the female characters in this story have so much agency and we get the example of skilled (and feared) female pirates.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

To me, this really wasn't what I would call a pirate story. Most of it took place on land, and there wasn't a great deal of 'swashbuckling'. Just more of a story about a girl trying to hide her pirate heritage more than anything else.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Salah bourouba »

marba wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 05:19 I think the best original feature was the way the author addressed the issue of slave trafficking. It was the first time I heard about pirates associated with it, so it was a surprise.
I also thought the same thing. The fact that slaves were associated with pirates and the their queen was actually a slave is fresh idea to add to a story of pirates
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

I haven't read a lot of pirate books. From the few books I have read there are many similarities but a few things stand out. One difference I noticed is the author's use of powerful female characters.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

Nwulu wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 02:19 Most pirates stories I have come across usually had the pirates moving illegal arms or drugs. However in this book, the pirates were involved in slave trade. I found that to be unique.
I agree. Those stories tend to focus more on looting from places or other ships. This book did not.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

I would not say it is different, but kind of unique. It's uniqueness comes with its romance and paradox its characters have to go through.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:

Post by The Holy Grail »

19blueofficial wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 12:35 The novel portrays a female as the head of a pirate ship and this is the first time I have read a pirate book involving family life, love and slavery.
I agree. This is also another thing that is unique about it. Not so many books are open to the idea of a strong female character even though this is slowly shifting nowadays.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:

Post by The Holy Grail »

Rocfella wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 05:42 In pirate stories, men are usually the lead characters. This is not the case in this novel. In this book, women are the lead characters. As well, this is the first time that I am reading a pirate story that involves the slave trade.
Isn't it odd? Many people can't just relate the female personality with some roles like being a pirate, so this is a pretty different turn of events in this book.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:

Post by The Holy Grail »

Evelyn Bioseh wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 05:16 There are a couple of things that makes it different from other pirate stories. One is the inclusion of slave trade to the story
This is also different to me, too. From the movies and cartoons I've watched, pirates are always interested in treasure, so it is quite weird that this book included slave trade.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:

Post by The Holy Grail »

Ozioma Miriam wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 15:08 I have read some history books on pirates. But, what makes this book unique is the plot. When I think of pirates, what comes to my mind is single men who are rough looking. I've never thought of them as family men, and I've never read of training a child, a girl child, to be precise as a pirate.
And to add to that, I've never thought that pirates actually have families. Most book are usually about the sea, treasure hunting and hijacking ships. The family perspective is usually left out.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:

Post by The Holy Grail »

Majorly, the strong female character is the main aspect that stands out the most. There are others like involvement with slave trave, inclusion of the family aspects that I've also come across reading these comments. All in all, the book is unique in more than one way.
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

The fact that the story-line involves members of the same family is quite captivating.A legacy of senior pirates initiating the next linage of bandits who have dedicated their entire vocation to live life off the rough seas.The author takes credit for crafting an explosive and entertaining plot,characters and vivid images placing the reader at the scene of events from the start to finish.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Having any books by pirates, I don't a point of reference to make a comparison, but now that I've read ''Brandy, Ballard of Princess," I am looking forward to reading books featuring pirates, although they are not that many and hard to come across.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”