Names in the book

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Re: Names in the book

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

My favorite name in the book has to be the name of the pirate ship in which Brandy was born, Red Witch. And yes, I agree that the peculiar names added something unique to the Novel.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

I don't see anything fascinating about the names. What's more important is the storyline but I get your point though.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

When a unique name that depicts the action of a character is used, then it draws my interest to it and makes it easier for me to comprehend. But in this book, the names are normal and did not affect my disposition about it.
Noblefausty101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noblefausty101.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Noblefausty101 »

I really appreciate good names, the names used in the book are quite unique I must say
Rocfella
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocfella.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rocfella »

The names of characters in a novel can make a story much more captivating and interesting. There are many common names in this novel such as Eric. However, the ships have spectacular names such as "Red Witch". Some of the characters have spectacular nicknames like " the scarlet mistress". These names made the book much more dramatic and interesting. Characterization is a vital part of every novel. Bad characterization will make for a bad story. Fortunately, the author of this book did an excellent job characterization. My best character is the protagonist, Brandy. The wonderful characterization in this story is one of the reasons I love this novel.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

Typically, unique names have a way of standing out and sticking in your memory. It also helps to make the plot intriguing and enhances my enjoyment of the book, rather than affecting it negatively.

Red Witch and Scarlet Mistress are a couple that stands out in this book.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Names can add some spice to a book. In this case the vessels' names, like "The Morning Star" and "The Red Witch," added the spice.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I would still enjoy the book very much even if the author used different character names. Giving non-living item names like the pirate ship: the red witch, and the ship for rescuing pirates: the morning star, made me appreciate those attributes more.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 01:36 One of the chief things that interests me in books are names. I love it when authors use peculiar and resounding names in characterizing their book. I also feel Dan Hendrickson used names wonderfully. Example is the name of the pirate ship “Red Witch” the name really triggered more interest in the book. Does characterization and names affect your enjoyment of a book or not. And what do u think about names in books.
I am a big fan on the meanings behind certain names. Even when I was a little girl I remember being very much intrigued by how authors chose to invent certain names not only for their main characters but also for certain creatures, such as all the whimsical names that are present in the Harry Potter saga. Therefore, although it is a very particular request or interest, I dare say that the names of characters and important aspects of the book might bring readers a sense of creativity and enjoyment than ore conventional books do not have.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

I really appreciated peoples' pirate names because they are so evocative in this book. In particular, I liked the name The Plague, because I can only imagine the terror he brought on people to warrant such a horrific monicker.
Jumana Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana Fawmi »

I think interesting names do add a layer of interest to the book. The author did a good job with the characters in the book and the names are quite unique
Grampy
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grampy.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Grampy »

The names in the book felt a little strange but with no time i got used to mix up. This didn't affect the enjoyment I had while reading the book.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

The names definitely had a classic effect. Even Brandy was a great choice for the passionate protagonist of the story.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I didn't find the characters' names to be anything special or to stand out at all. However, I believe the author did a great job at selecting the names of the ships - those are some of the most important names in a book about pirates, and they didn't disappoint!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann
fav_author_id: 2379
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 183%

Post by Salah bourouba »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 01:36 One of the chief things that interests me in books are names. I love it when authors use peculiar and resounding names in characterizing their book. I also feel Dan Hendrickson used names wonderfully. Example is the name of the pirate ship “Red Witch” the name really triggered more interest in the book. Does characterization and names affect your enjoyment of a book or not. And what do u think about names in books.
Definitely. The more unique the names are the more interesting the story would be. Finding common and repetitive names in books is really boring and might make me loose interest in the book. That's how important they are for me
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”